Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Blast from the Past

I've recently gotten back in touch with a dear old friend from my Texas high school. Lorrie is one of the funniest, neatest people I've ever known and I'm super, super excited to hear from her. Yay!

I met Lorrie in about 8th or 9th grade, so that's what, 20 years? (I really don't feel old enough to be able to say I've known someone for 20 years.)

Lorrie knew me when I used to put toothpaste in my hair to make it spike up. This really does work (and you'll be peppermint-y, too)! Although it often dries up and flakes a bit. So you end up looking like you have gray hair, or dandruff, or both.

Lorrie knew me when I used to use black eyeshadow as "blush."

Lorrie used to write me notes in class and spelled my name "Jennipher." Our notes used words and phrases like "ick" and "blech" and "YB" (which stood for Your Boyfriend, referring to the appealing Comic Book Guy walking down the hall. These were the sort of guys we'd usually attract.)

Lorrie (and our friend Andy) went with me to my first concert--Eurhythmics at Astroworld.

Lorrie had such a funny poster of a psycho poodle and we used to listen to B-52s "Quiche Lorraine" and just pee with laughter. "Has anybody seen a dog dyed dark green....?"

Lorrie introduced me to They Might Be Giants. That alone qualifies her for the Eternal Friend Award.

Lorrie and our other friends and I used to go to hot, happening teen clubs, such as "The Wave" and drink cokes and dance the night away. We were so cool. I remember that Dead Or Alive's "My Heart Goes Bang" would always get us out on the dance floor, and we'd mime the "bang-bang-bang-bang" in time with the song. I mean, we were SO cool.

Lorrie once invited THE MALL to my house. (They came.)

The time when I knew Lorrie (and other friends--Cheryl, Stephani, Andy and Jynnette come to mind) was one of the most fun times of my life. I'm looking forward to getting to know them again, now that we're "grownups."

But we're still cool. I think.

No comments: