Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Unschooling Proponent Likes Founders College

I've been following the progress of Founders College, a new liberal arts college that is the brainchild of a group of dedicated Objectivist professors and businessmen. A location for the college was determined last year and my understanding is that the recruitment process for the first class (this fall) is underway.

I checked the Founders College website this evening and was pleasantly surprised to find a glowing letter of recommendation from unschooling guru Pat Farenga , an associate of the late John Holt. John Holt's book Teach Your Own was a fascinating read and very influential in my decision to homeschool and to allow my kids to direct their own learning. So I got all warm and glowy when I read Farenga's comments. (He likes it, he really likes it!) The founders of the college are rightly displaying his comments prominently on their website (and proudly, too, I might add; they've earned it!).

I have no doubt that any focused, motivated student (homeschooled, unschooled, regular schooled, what have you) will flourish at Founders College. I am extremely interested to see how the unschooled kids do in particular, since there is considerable concern among (some) Objectivists about the efficacy of allowing a child to be "unschooled." I'm rather rooting for the unschooled kids to shine; it would be nice to have some great examples to uphold.

Of course, I'm rooting for success all around this endeavor. :o)

No comments: