Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Across the Universe: The Movie!

Brendan and I played hooky last night from our Objectivist gathering and met up with two other hooky-playing Objectivists to go see the new Spider-Man 3. The current IMDB rating is 6.9/10 which I would have to agree with. I really enjoyed the "powing" scenes (fight scenes) and some of the comic relief (Tobey Maguire is a super cutie and good at being a dork). If you do go to see it, try to zoom off to your Happy Place when the Serious Acting begins and you might enjoy it a bit more than I did. Just an idea.

Still enjoyed myself--6 hours away from the kids with grownup friends. Aaaaahhhh! Wish we could have had that drink--maybe next time?

Anyhoo.

We saw some very thrilling previews. Which I always enjoy as they are perfect for my Mommy-Induced Attention Deficit Disorder (MIADD--look at me, a new acronym!). Looks like we'll be skipping more Objectivist meetings to attend screenings of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (eek!), and Across the Universe.

The preview for Across the Universe had me enthralled. It's a 60s-70s coming of age (or, bildungsroman, if you will) movie and will no doubt include dreadful philosophic premises, the contemplation of which is making me cringe in advance. And I must also consider that the weird phenomenon of the preview being more interesting than the actual movie is working its insidious mojo here (has that ever happened to you?).

Here's the thing: I don't care (at least at this time), because there's Beatles music incorporated throughout the entire thing ala Moulin Rouge! (which I also adored).

The characters are: Jude (like, Hey!), Max (as in Maxwell's Silver Hammer, a whimsical little song about a cold-blooded psychopathic murderer), Sadie (Sexy), Lucy (in the Sky with Diamonds, natch), Prudence (Dear), JoJo (Get Back!), Desmond (of Molly fame), Mr. Kite (a beneficiary), and Bono (yeah, that Bono) is filling the role of dear old Dr. Robert.

The stylizing (forgive me, I'm not a movie peopleguy, so don't know the real terms for it) looks amazing. Dancing and singing--very Moulin Rouge! Oh. Oh. Oh. I want to see it so badly. Won't open until September though.

Is there anybody going to listen to my story
All about a girl who came to stay?


That's how the preview began!!!!! I thought I was going to die a goose-bump-induced death. That song ("Girl" from Rubber Soul) has been floating through my head all day. Can I possibly make it to September?

Jai Guru Deva, Om.

Indeed.

No comments: