Monday, May 14, 2007

The Best Laid Plans

So, we had a different weekend than I had originally planned. At least my life isn't boring!

We skipped the garage sale on Saturday due to the fact that the cold caught up with me in a fierce way. I woke up at 7:10, glanced at the clock, laughed at the idea of going downstairs and dragging random items out of my garage onto my wet-from-the-rain yard, and tried to go back to sleep. The rest of the day is a blur, but I did feel well enough to venture out to get Ryan a baseball glove (he starts t-ball next week).

All I wanted for Mother's Day this year was to sleep in. Last year, on Mother's Day, we were staying in a rental cabin in Blue Ridge. Brendan took the little ones down to the lowest level of the cabin so that I could sleep in--a special treat, Morgan being only 13 months at the time. I was awakened about 7:00am by the hysterical screams of my son, who had fallen head first into the not-heated hot tub while still clothed in his pajamas. It's funny now, oh, but at the time...! The year before I couldn't sleep in because Morgan was only about 7 weeks old. The year before was the peanut thing. The year before.....well, it's always something. You get the picture.

In keeping with tradition, I did NOT get to sleep in this year either. Instead, I got to call 911 for my diabetic husband! Yes, at 7:10. He was having an extreme low blood sugar and was acting really strangely and not responding to the sugar pills I forced down his throat. By the time the EMTs arrived (to the delight of my son, a real fire truck!), Brendan knew his name and birthday. All was well for the rest of the day--although we had another not-quite-as-bad episode this morning. When I'm not having fun with food allergies or my own cold, it's fun with diabetes!

Needless to say, yesterday was quite the blur, too. I did get some alone time--Brendan took the kids out of the house for a couple hours while I slept a bit and read my book. Isn't it funny? The best Mother's Day present (except for Key Lime Truffles from Godiva) is just NOT being around my family for a while! Of course, I enjoyed them much after their trip to the store and my rest!

So anyway, I've got tons of stuff in my garage. Want some?

No comments: