Friday, May 18, 2007

Dennis Miller?

In this article, Dennis Miller refers to himself as a

". . . libertarian on most things, if not downright Ayn Rand objectivist."

Haven't heard a good Dennis Miller rant in ages, so couldn't tell you if he's really going through such a philosophical sea-change. Would be nice if he could shed his self-proclaimed "libertarian" slant and go the whole way with the "Ayn Rand Objectivist" thing, though.


Michael Caution said...

Apparently he has his own radio show now. But like you I haven't heard seen him in any other media recently.

But if you go to his site,, go to his audio archives and on May 7, 2007 around 23 minutes into the program he talks with John Stossel and mentions his admiration for Rand and Objectivism. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Jenn said...

I will check out his website. Interesting....multiple mentions of Ayn Rand.

Dennis Miller has always been good for a laugh. But he's never been a comedian I've truly loved. I kind of have to be in the mood for him.

I will say this about him: he is a thinker and I've been impressed with his outspokenness about his philosophical shift away from the Hollywood Left. If he ever made it all the way to Objectivism, he could be a formidable ally.

Thanks for the link, and thanks for reading! I've been checking out your blog, too. Nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say he is fully Objectivist, of course. I think he gets it though, rather deeply.

His main problem, at least from the rhetoric that I have heard, is that he doesnt seem to grasp the difference between being pragmatic and objectivity. He uses pragmatic where objective would do. But other than that his ideas are quite good and his articulation is incredible. He has a wealth of knowledge that is astounding. He speak reverentially of Ayn Rand. I think he is a good ally in the media, to be sure.


Rational Jenn said...

Overall, I've been impressed with Miller's pro-Rand comments and willingness to have Yaron Brook on his show. His downfall is/will be his pragmatism, but for once it's nice to have someone very well-known speaking about Ayn Rand with respect.

I hope he figures it out. Seems like he's been on a personal philosophical reevaulation for many years and he's bright enough and I believe intellectually honest enough to work through whatever internal contradictions he has.

I think we'll all benefit from his open admiration of Ayn Rand.