Thursday, May 17, 2007

Seven

No, not the movie.

Got this idea from fellow OBlogger Gus Van Horn. I have many better things to do, but of course that doesn't prevent me from spending a little me time with my blog. (Will try to figure out the backlink thing in a mo. Never tried it before.)

Without any ado, I present:

Seven Possibly Interesting Things About Me (of which you may or may not be aware):


  • I have a superpower. I can remember the birthday of anyone I've ever met. Even you. At last count, I have about 120 days in the calendar for which I know at least one person with a birthday. Example: Today is my husband's birthday. (Happy Birthday, Sweetie!)

  • These are the states I've lived in (in order): Connecticut, Virginia, South Carolina, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Texas, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Georgia.

  • I've been on TV twice (like Gus Van Horn). When I was about 7 or 8, I was on the Janie Show, an after-school cartoon show (in Indianapolis) hosted by "Janie" and featuring kids who wave between cartoons and get to say their names and wave to the camera, too. I was wearing my brownie uniform. We all got Pez as a treat. When I was about 11 years old, my Fyfe & Drum Corps was on the local news, playing in the background of some dude's political rally. I was the one waaaaayyyy over there on the left. Or was it right? Evidently, I will not get on TV again unless I'm wearing some kind of costume.

  • I once memorized the entire poem "Paul Revere's Ride" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It was worth a perfect 100 grade for that 6 weeks' session. 8th grade, I think. Incidentally, my son was born "on the 18th of April" (in 2002) and I was thinking about that line from the poem as I was being wheeled to the OR for my emergency c-section. (Weird things go through my head in a crisis--might have been the drugs, though.)

  • One of my dad's innumerable cousins is Donny from Sha-Na-Na, a show which I absolutely adored and not just because of the Donny connection.

  • I have become a snake enthusiast after overcoming a life-long fear and horror of snakes (all varieties). My kids and I go looking for snakes all the time in our neighborhood and I am truly bummed when we don't spot one. I credit hours and hours of watching Crocodile Hunter which helped me realize that snakes typically really want to slither away from humans, not toward them. That has been my personal experience as well.

  • I still can't believe I did this. Once, a friend and I decided to "finish off" several half empty bottles of tequila by, gulp, doing snakebites every 5 minutes until the bottles were empty. I did 9. He did about 12, then decided he wasn't drunk enough and went and had some rum. Brendan (my husband and said friend's roommate at the time) found us passed out together on the floor next day. This obviously occurred when we were in college.

That was fun! Keep me posted if you do some "sevens" of your own!

2 comments:

Michael Caution said...

Several half empty bottles?

How did you not die afterwards? I've only had tequila once and then it was only a shot. I nearly gagged. Obviously it's not my drink of choice.

Jenn said...

Ah yes. I can hardly believe it's true myself. One of the bottles only contained a few shots, but the other two still had much tequila (about 1/3 of the bottle?). It seemed like a good idea at the time--really, we were just tidying up the apartment, decluttering those pesky not-quite-empty bottles.

I heard from my friend and he thought he did about 20 shots, although that doesn't seem humanly possible. It is entirely possible our memories are muddled by time and alcohol, although I have a very distinct memory of "9".

Now that I'm a parent and I imagine my kids going off to college and doing something just as foolish....oh, it's just frightening!

My aunt once said, "Everyone has a tequila story. If you don't have one now, you will."

So that's my tequila story! Haven't done a snakebite since. I will have the occasional margarita. Not 9 though....