Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Battlestar Galactica

So we are now beginning our journey into season one of Battlestar Galactica. I'm downloading the episodes off of iTunes right this very minute. The reviews have been pretty good and seem in keeping with my aesthetic values, so I'm intrigued.

We were going to watch Veronica Mars, but only season three is available on iTunes and unless somebody coughs up a Best Buy or Target gift card (could be you!) so we can acquire the first two seasons on DVD, we're gonna have to wait. I am looking forward to that show very much.

But I digress. Battlestar Galactica. I remember the 70s television show very well. Dirk Benedict was so dreamy! And little Noah Hathaway as Boxey, ooooh! But even as a child I was aware of the Cheese Factor. (Full disclosure: I am a fan of a little cheese, I must admit. I blame my father for inflicting his passion for old horror and sci-fi movies on me at a sensitive point in my development. Naturally, I intend to cause similar damage to my own kids.)

Still, I'm expecting a bit more from this new iteration of BSG. Oh, how I hate to be disappointed, particularly after plunking down some cash. Wish me luck!

Okay, must go and do a little house stuff!


Rachel said...

Hi Jenn.

Just a warning about Veronica Mars. Season 1 was spectacular, and season 2 was exciting. But season 3 was less than stellar. Please don't judge the series by the later seasons.

BSG, too, started out very engrossing, but it's starting to slog a little now, too. I'm only mildly concerned, however, because they've already written (or at least planned) the last season, so I expect the plot to tighten up.

VM lost its focus. Although that was enough reason to cancel it, I can't give CW that much credit. (They and Fox seem to be making some really bone-headed purchasing/scheduling decisions lately.)

Rational Jenn said...

You know, this starting with a bang, ending with a whimper thing is beginning to be a pattern! Your description of VM is also pretty much how I feel/felt about "Lost." Season 1--quite good, Season 2--well, they lost me (ba-bum-bum) about halfway through, don't even want to try Season 3!

But I'm so eager to see good TV and we never ever just "watch" TV anymore as it happens. I love having a whole season of something at my fingertips to watch late at night with my hubby after the kids are asleep.

Last year was filled with Buffy, 24 (seasons 1-5), Firefly, House. We had a good run last year! So I'm casting about, looking for that next show that will be totally worth the time and effort (because it's so hard to make the time and effort).

Glad to hear that BSG is still trucking along--even the best shows can get sloggy in the middle. I know I struggled with Buffy a bit there for a while.

I've heard good things about "Heroes" as well--know anything about that show?


Rachel said...

Heroes' first season was well plotted. I still haven't made up my mind about the theme. But as a comic book (it's just a live-action comic, really), the story was well told. Can't say I cared much for the precognition. That stuff is just sci-fi's packaging of prophecy, which I think even the fantasy genre could do without. I'll stick around for season two.

I don't approve of the use of "mystical insight" (read: faith and whim made metaphysically real for fiction) as a device to replace characters' evaluations and cognition, but I'm happy to say that I have found Dresden Files, even though it is about a wizard, does not use magic and mysticism to replace his mind. Also, Psych is a show about a very observant man who, due to unfortunate circumstances, finds himself pretending to be a psychic in order to do business as a PI/police consultant. I am very much enjoying those two shows. I've also heard good things about BBCA's MI:5 and have it on my Netflix list.

Oh, hey, speaking of comics, and Buffy, did you know that Joss Whedon is writing season 8 (yes, continuing on from the destruction of the Hell Mouth) as a comic book? Comic books are a bit pricey, and the issues are released soooooo slooooooooowly, but still-and-all I must recommend it to any Whedon fan.

P.S. Thanks for the pointer to Weregeek - another one for my reading list!

Rational Jenn said...

I've only heard of Dresden Files, but had dismissed it as too supernatural. Maybe I'll take another look. I've liked what I've seen of Psych, and of course, I've enjoyed Monk very much too.

I have ordered the first book of Buffy 8 and eagerly awaiting its arrival. Never been much into comics (double x chromosome thing?) but I'm giving it a try lately due to Buffy and Firefly. I'm hopeful!

Thanks so much for the great ideas!

Rachel said...

Welcome! Do write to me and let me know what you think of them, won't you?

Monk is a wonderful show, and Tony Shaloub is a great actor!

As for the double X, I'm not so certain. Check this out: