Thursday, June 28, 2007


Well, now I definitely want to see it.

Ever since we got the DVD for Pixar's Cars (which is a 7 out of 10), we've had to watch the preview for Ratatouille oh, about a million times. I had no idea until this morning that Brad Bird is the director and screenwriter. He was the guy behind my favorite Pixar movie, The Incredibles (9.9 out of 10). Bird also directed and wrote the screenplay for the noteworthy The Iron Giant.

Now he has repeatedly and sometimes dismissively denied any explicit Ayn Rand connection to his personal philosophy in past interviews. However, his movies are undeniably and unabashedly focused on individual achievement and free will, which is why so many of his movies seem to appeal to Objectivists. They are like a breath of fresh air. Sure, the Iron Giant explodes himself at the end, but I argue that he thought he had a good chance of being able to put himself back together and that he valued the boy so much it was worth the risk. And he does indeed begin to reassemble himself at the very very end of the movie. So I don't see the Iron Giant's actions as self-sacrificial, although it has been debated in Objectivist circles and I'm certain that the population at large saw it that way (and applauded it, too).

That said, I'm seeing the Brad Bird-Ayn Rand connection being made again with Ratatouille, which may irritate Bird, but makes me eager to check it out for myself. Think we'll take Ryan to see it, too.

No comments: