Friday, June 29, 2007

Smartie Pants

My daughter is 2 years, 3 months old. She is already a whiz at the Leapster, a handheld game player for little kids, which I NEVER would have allowed her to have were it not for my profound love of blissful silence and similarly great desire to Get Other Things Done from time to time here at home. (Her brother is only interested in his Leapster when she wants it; otherwise, he has little use for it.)

She knows that you're supposed to enter your name at the beginning of the game. She entered "MGNM" yesterday before becoming frustrated and asking for help spelling her name. Today, I watched her enter "MPNABGHOH," which seems unimpressive until you realize that those letters are pretty close together and her aim with the stylus is a bit wiggly. She got every letter in her name (except R) plus an additional "next door neighbor" letter. Then, because she knew it didn't look right, she made me help her put in "MORGAN" all over again.

It utterly fascinates me that a human this young is capable of so much.

No comments: