Sunday, July 15, 2007

Galaxy Zoo

Now this is a fun and also semi-productive way to spend internet time. Galaxy Zoo needs humans to help them classify images of galaxies. I took a tutorial and a little test and now I'm qualified to help out real Scientist Peopleguys. Neat. O.

Evidently, humans are more accurate at classifying these things than computer algorithms--I imagine each galaxy gets rated by a randomized group of people. It's what I would do anyway.

I can't wait to show Ryan and tell all my homeschool email groups!

Via: Allen's Image Adjustment


Charlie said...

Wow. That is cool. How many did you get right in the tutorial?

I just zipped through a bunch of images and only saw a couple of spirals. But I think I saw a merger galaxy. Neat stuff.

Rational Jenn said...

I think I got 12/15 in the tutorial and was surprised that I passed with such a score. I keep going back to refresh my memory.

I find that most galaxies are ellipticals, but I've seen a couple really nice spirals and one merger. I haven't bothered to check, but seems as if spiral galaxies are not very common.

But, fun!