Monday, July 23, 2007

J.K. Rowling (And Possible Minor Spoilers)

Cox and Forkum have a little bit about Rowling on their site today. Uh, yesterday, as I've just noticed the date.

There are a couple of quotations from various news articles about her and Harry Potter. Most interesting to me:

On criticism of the books from Christians in Britain and the United States:

"I had one letter from a vicar in England -- this is the difference -- saying would I please not put Christmas trees at Hogwarts as it was clearly a pagan society. Meanwhile, I'm having death threats when I'm on tour in America."

Huh. Proud to be an American. (Can't resist pointing out that Christmas trees are of pagan origin.)

I re-read the last few chapters of Deathly Hallows last night. Here's what I've decided: This book is so good; it's possibly great. I loved the Epilogue, which I think nicely depicts the kind of universe that was being fought for.

The book isn't perfect, especially from an Objectivist standpoint (Was it true altruism? Probably, because Rowling seems to buy into typical Christian morality; however in the context of the book--what else could have been done?), but then again I didn't really expect Objectivist morality, so I wasn't too disappointed in that respect.

But the heroism--YES--how I wish real people would exhibit more of THAT kind of heroism in real life--fight back for pete's sake! I think Molly Weasley said it best. :o)

Still in mourning for the fallen. Strange, how real it is, this impossible world.

More to come...

ETA: Minor edit of a paragraph

1 comment:

Rational Jenn said...

I know it's probably weird to comment on your own posts, but I never claimed not to be weird.

I've been thinking it over and I think I'm too touchy about the altruism thing. I know why Harry did what he did and I think he was moral in doing it. I just hate that the rest of the world is going to extol him for the wrong reasons. So I get flinchy when I read things that touch on conventional morality.

That was a bloody great book and amazingly well-written. I can't say enough about it. We are able to see her master plan as she must have envisioned it 10 years ago. Kind of like seeing the last season of Buffy--everything ties together. Although I think Rowling pulled it off much better.

/weirdness