Sunday, July 29, 2007

Two Great Books For Kids

Speaking of the virtue of Productiveness, I have a couple of book recommendations for younger kids.

The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle is the story of a spider so focused on building her web that the other farm animals are entirely unable to distract her. Catchphrase from the book: "The spider didn't answer. She was very busy spinning her web." Great for toddlers and preschoolers (especially if you get the board book). The pictures feature Carle's unique designs and little fingers can trace the spider's web as it is slightly raised off the page.

For the slightly older set--ages 4-7 (ish!), there is Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall. This is the story of an early 19th century farming family from Maine who all participate in producing the goods that the father sells at the market. The story beautifully depicts the family's yearly routine and shows how the father converts their goods into money, which he then uses to buy supplies for next year's work.

We love those two books around here! I'm sure I can think of more, but I'm somewhat limited in that my kids are still very small. Any ideas for older kids?


Anonymous said...


Have you heard of Sydney Kendall's book, A Turn for DeWurst?

Sydney is an Objectivist. She is married to the infamous Prodos.

I am an adult (30) and am in the middle of reading it. I like it very much. Id say it would be great for 10 and up. I think it is on the level of Charlotte's Web but with deeper philosophical meanings.


Rational Jenn said...

That sounds very interesting. I will definitely check it out. Thanks!

Marnee said...

Hi Jenn, I was thinking... Are you familiar with OT Nelson's The Girl Who Owned a City? It is supposedly written by an Objectivist.

"This is a post-apocalyptic book about leadership and survival."

A nice little read for adults, too.

Did you read Island of the Blue Dolphin when you were a kid? I highly recommend that as well.

Rational Jenn said...

Hey Marnee! How are ya?

I have The Girl Who Owned A City, but haven't read it yet. I should read it soonish, if only to evaluate whether and when to introduce it to my kids.

And you know, I never read The Island of the Blue Dolphin! You're the second person to recommend it, so I think I must check it out.