Sunday, July 01, 2007

Update on Getting Things Done

Well, I've completed the brain dump part of the collection process. What you do is write down every single little thing--large or small--that needs doing. Allen is absolutely correct--it's a very liberating feeling, knowing that my Stuff is written down somewhere and no longer floating disconsolately around my brain. I don't have to worry about forgetting all of these things--and it's quite a pile, let me tell you.

The root of my problems lately has been trying to remember to do too many things, disparate things, all at the same time. I'm constantly thinking "now there's about 5 things I should be doing, what were they again?" and dropping the ball on important matters. I don't know if it's age or parenthood (I suspect it's a combination actually), but I just can't hold this stuff in my memory the way I used to.

It occurs to me that this method is a Muggle alternative to Dumbledore's Pensieve. It does help tremendously just to get one's thoughts out of one's head. Although Allen's method isn't as cool as as a Pensieve! I suppose that's what I get for being a Muggle--just paper and pen and computers. Oh well.

Now I can relax a bit and evaluate my Stuff in a calmer, more objective fashion. I'll write down how I do on the next steps, as I am finding that blogging about this helps me get some order around my brain.

No comments: