Wednesday, August 01, 2007

More On Amelia Peabody

On the official Amelia Peabody website, there is a section with various Peabody-isms. They are great and you'll find them extremely useful if you are trying to decide if you will enjoy the books.

Some of my favorites:
  • "Abstinence, as I have often observed, has a deleterious effect on the disposition."
  • "The combination of physical strength and moral sincerity combined with tenderness of heart is exactly what is wanted in a husband."
  • "I always say there is nothing more comfortable or commodious than a tomb."
  • "It is impossible for any rational mind to follow the peculiar mental convolutions that pass for logic among the male sex . . ." (Amelia is convinced that men are illogical creatures.)
  • "It is difficult to be angry with a gentleman who pays you compliments . . . especially impertinent compliments."
  • "A lady cannot be blamed if a master criminal takes a fancy to her."
  • "I hope I number patience among my virtues, but shilly-shallying, when nothing is to be gained by the delay, is not a virtue."
  • "Though I had slept only a few hours, I felt quite fresh and full of ambition. Righteous indignation has that effect on my character."
ETA: Fonts...I dunno....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rational Jenn, do you remember that movie from the 80s where this American woman wins a writing contest, goes off to Europe, gets bonked on the head, comes-to with amnesia but thinking she is the character from the mystery novels she loves, and ends up traipsing around solving mysteries with a handsome fop of an Englishman she believes is her assistant? Its hysterical and romantic. Dont know why but I was reminded of this reading about Mrs. Peabody.

You dont happen to know the name of this movie? Because I cant recall and its killing me.

Big tangent. A million apologies.

--Marnee

Rational Jenn said...

Oh no, I love tangents.

Don't know the name of that movie but it sounds intriguing! Let me know if you ever discover the name of it.

~Jenn

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I finally got it! Its American Dreamer starring non other than JoBeth Williams.

Enjoy.

--Marnee

Rational Jenn said...

I'm so behind in catching up on my comments! Sorry!

But thanks for the movie name. I've never seen it, but I think I'd like to.

Bye!