Some of my favorites:
- "Abstinence, as I have often observed, has a deleterious effect on the disposition."
- "The combination of physical strength and moral sincerity combined with tenderness of heart is exactly what is wanted in a husband."
- "I always say there is nothing more comfortable or commodious than a tomb."
- "It is impossible for any rational mind to follow the peculiar mental convolutions that pass for logic among the male sex . . ." (Amelia is convinced that men are illogical creatures.)
- "It is difficult to be angry with a gentleman who pays you compliments . . . especially impertinent compliments."
- "A lady cannot be blamed if a master criminal takes a fancy to her."
- "I hope I number patience among my virtues, but shilly-shallying, when nothing is to be gained by the delay, is not a virtue."
- "Though I had slept only a few hours, I felt quite fresh and full of ambition. Righteous indignation has that effect on my character."