Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Trip Thus Far...

Our brave vacationing family made it to Raleigh late yesterday. We were on track to actually leave our house when I imagined we would (I'm so organized!) when Brendan noticed a big lump on the back of Ryan's knee! "Freaked out" doesn't begin to describe my feelings upon seeing that lump. We rushed off to the pediatrician who diagnosed (as had I and a friend) the lump as a benign Baker's Cyst. Breathing much more calmly, we set off on our journey only 2 hours late. Totally worth it.

30 minutes into our journey, Ryan asked "How much longer?" Lather, rinse, repeat. Poor thing! Even though everyone was happy to receive a surprise of the first two seasons of Scooby Doo to watch in the car on the way.

Morgan refused to nap until after our dinner stop, and so was awake until midnight last night! Oh well, at least she slept in this morning. We met my parents for a late breakfast in the lobby. While I was in line to get eggs with Ryan, he sneezed, remembering to cover his mouth with his hands. I complimented him on being so hygenic but was promptly rebuffed: "But Mom, I'm not ever doing that again because my hands smell like pee!" Many were amused. I'm sure an equal number of innocent bystanders were not. I thought it was highly funny though.

Then we went to the mall and made some stuffed animals at Build A Bear (soooo cute). I watched some of the American Idol contestants try out. Nobody was really horrible--no William Hungs or that awful guy who tried to sing "Like A Virgin" a few years ago. There were some who could really sing and some who couldn't, some with lots of bling and some without. I didn't see anyone in tears or threatening the judges. Fairly tame all in all.

We had our lunch and I really need to teach Ryan some appropriateness in public kind of lessons because while we were waiting for our table, he dropped trou and asked me to inspect his booty. (Sometimes he passes gas and thinks he pooped and he's always surprised by this.) Many innocent bystanders were caught in the crossfire of his big old white moon. Again, I was highly amused!

After lunch, we saw the Sanrio store and Morgan was about the funniest thing I've ever seen. She just couldn't believe that there was actually a Hello Kitty store! A whole store! Too cute. Cash drifted from the grandparents' hands like tape in a ticker-tape parade. It's kind of hard though because they obviously prefer Morgan over Ryan and it's really getting on my nerves. Doesn't seem to bug Ryan though.

Apart from my parents driving the ever-loving sanity just right out of my brain, we are having a nice time. But I can't wait to head for the beach tomorrow! More to come....

PS--If you ever read the FamBlog, you may see some of this text again when I post pictures.

3 comments:

The Shepcarpclan said...

Lol, hand smells like pee, that one had me laughing. Ahh yes nothing like when grandparents show favoritism.

Rational Jenn said...

I mean, really, his hand smells like pee? Whose fault is that? It's not like I haven't tried to teach him proper habits! Sheesh. Still, it was so freaking funny, and I'm afraid I'm just one of those people who laughs at stuff like that when I probably should be mortified. I'm mortified a little, but the amusement outweighs any embarrassment.

As far as the favoritism, I can even understand why they are so into Morgan...she's a very open, affectionate, funny person. Ryan has never been Mr. Arms Open Wide. So of course it's easier to get close to her. But it's not as if Ryan is completely unapproachable, especially in the last 18 months. He's talkative, he wants to share stories and ideas, and he's also a very funny person. He's just not going to cuddle on their laps or smile for the camera every single time. He's just not.

So far he doesn't seem to notice, but I wonder how long that will last. I don't know how to handle it because my parents are notorious non-listening types, only hear what they want to hear, see what they want to see. Every time they make a comment about Ryan that I disagree with, I counter it with facts. That's the only thing I can think to do until he does notice and then we'll move onto the next level!

I must stop this comment now or it will turn into a parental rant, and I just don't want to go there at the moment! Yay for the beach tomorrow!

Marnee said...

Oh gosh. My childhood was similar. I was the first born too, independent, and similar to Ryan. But eventually I realized what was going on and at nearly the same age as Ryan, I was convinced that my nana (great grandma) hated me. Great grandpa always seemed to like me a lot, but nana ignored me in favor of the little sister sometimes and I was hurt by this. So one day I told her my grandma and then my grandma, insisting this wasn't true, takes me over to nana to have me explain. Nana laughed at me and made me feel bad. It was confusing but I worked it out in my little head, some how. After that I did feel better and it stopped bothering me as much. I am very glad that I took that moment to stand up for myself, even though I was scared to death. I will never forget it.

So I think if it does end up bothering Ryan, I would say it is a good idea to let him approach the grandparents himself in his own way, if he be so bold.

Give him a hug for me if it doesn't go well. :(