Thursday, September 27, 2007

Read This Post Only If You Want To Be Amazed By My Smartie Kids

I don't know if I'm smart enough to homeschool my kids. Okay, I know that's not really true, but sometimes things they say or do have me wondering if I still have enough brain cells to do the job.

For instance, the fact that Ryan can quote almost verbatim any story he hears gets me a bit rattled. He is figuring out numbers and arithmetic like nobody's business. He has a very complete understanding of the supply chain, as evidenced by the following conversation we had months ago:

R: "What are you doing, Mom?"
Me: "I'm paying the electric bill."
R: "Why?"
Me: "Because we buy the electricity we use to turn on the lights and the refrigerator from the electric company. It's not free; we have to pay for it."
R: "Oh, that makes sense. They need the money to pay the peopleguys and to buy more supplies like electrical wires. If we didn't pay them, then they wouldn't be able to buy wires from the wire store, right?"
Me: "Well, yeah. They have to buy other supplies, too, though."
R (slightly annoyed by my pointing out the elementary): "Well yeah, Mom, obviously they need to build more power plants and transformers and they'll have to buy the supplies for them, too."
Me: !?!?!

Morgan is also quite a bright child and now she's starting up. She has memorized books and "reads" them to herself all the time. (Interestingly, this is something Ryan didn't do very often at her age or....ever.) She can sing the words to almost any song after only hearing it a few times. Somehow she knows the words to Spider-Man. How? We don't sing it much at all. But she knows them. (It's also amazingly cute.)

Today, she blew me away. We were driving in the car, just the two of us, and she was chattering away about this and that.

Then she said: "Mom, I want a vitamin."
Me, expecting at least a loud protest: "Well, you already had a vitamin today. You can have another one tomorrow."
M: "Vitamin. Vuh-vuh-vuh-vitamin. I guess 'vitamin' starts with the V sound, right Mom?"
Me: !?!?!?

She's 2 1/2.

Neither one of them can seem to turn their little brains off at nighttime, which may explain some of the restless nights, early mornings and nightmares. (Unless it doesn't.) Ryan told me the other night that he has too much to think about and that if he falls asleep, then he's afraid he'll forget what he was thinking about and (getting tearful at this point) what if he never remembered? What then?

So, I get rattled is all. I'm just sayin'.


Anonymous said...

so awesome


Fire Queen said...

So, this blog thing is totally cooler than a baby book. Are you archiving this stuff so they can be embarrassed and proud of what little geniuses they were? Plus, I totally feel for Ryan and his fear that sleep will steal all his current thoughts and he'll never get them back. That's still me.

Rachel said...


I wonder what it will feel like to be dwarfed by one's children, someday.

Rational Jenn said...

Hopefully everyone who wants to experience the parenting thing will get to. It's awesome although exhausting!

Lorrie--I will tell Ryan that there is someone who knows how he feels. I'm sure that will make him feel better. He really is worried about it! Me--I keep losing my thoughts but I'm no longer worried about it that much. Maybe it's age? I'm just happy to have the brain cells and thoughts I've still got!