Sunday, September 02, 2007

Webcam Wanderer

Sometimes when I'm up really late at night, I check out webcams around the world. I've never been out of the country except to Canada and Mexico, although I yearn to. Yearn, I tell ya. I'm also a big history buff and just generally nosy. So here are some of my favorites:

Trafalgar Square, London: Because I really really really really want to go to England. Really.

Penzance, Cornwall: Because I really really really want to go there, too (some ancestors came from this part of England in the early 1800s).

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island: Okay, let's just assume that I really really, etc. want to go to each of these spots. I am a big BIG Anne of Green Gables fan.

Blewett Pass, Washington: Okay, the view is of a highway, but the town is named after some distant ancestors (related to the Cornish ones).

Mount St. Helens: Cause it's cool to watch a volcano. It is.

Cape Hatteras, North Carolina: Hey! I've already been to this one! (Although I guess the webcam is currently on the fritz.)

Times Square, Manhattan: Hey! I've been here, too! They are so right: this city never sleeps.

Heidelberg, Germany: My dad lived here as a child, and I would love to visit, especially to walk on Der Philosophenweg (The Philosopher's Walk). Shelley and Byron once walked there. My dad, too!

Liverpool, England: Because, you know, wanna go. Love The Fab Four.

Paris, France: Yay! Eiffel Tower!

Giza, Egypt: Pyramids!

Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana: My alma mater.

Here's a new one I found just now: Galway, Ireland. My in-laws are on their way to Ireland as I write this and will be heading to Galway tomorrow.

So anyway, that's what I do when I've got insomnia. I travel around the world. Fun, no? I'm always interested in snooping on other exciting places, so if you have any webcam favorites, let me know!


Jennifer Snow said...

My parents went to Purdue! That's actually where they met!

Rational Jenn said...

Small world, isn't it? My parents went to Purdue and met there, too. I met my husband there and am still in touch with lots of good friends and Objectivists from Purdue. My brother went there and is an accounting instructor in the Restaurant school.

Go Boilers! :o)

Monica said...


I've never been to Penzance, but I have been to Cornwall. It's lovely. You really should go - I got a ticket to London heathrow, then simply took the train there to visit a good friend.

If you go, check out the Eden Project. It's very cool!