Monday, September 17, 2007

Weekend Recap

I hope you had a nice weekend. We had lots of the busy, but the good kind of FUN busy. We are in the midst of home project chaos! We removed our big (dying) tv, the bookcases and entertainment center from our family room to expose the biggest wall in the room for our new projector tv! Now we can watch life-size Scooby Doo tremble and quake in an enormous haunted mansion while the rest of the gang solve the Gigantic Mystery of the Colossal Carnival. Which we are doing right now.

It's amazing how many books and things regular-old-sized bookcases can hold, isn't it? I think it's some kind of "whole is greater than the sum of the parts" deal. I kept looking for the hidden trapdoor that contained the thousands of books and games we didn't know we had as I emptied the shelves. Maybe the bookcases were charmed to hold ridiculous amounts of stuff, like Hermione's beaded purse. I am quite curious as to how this can be and I'm open to theories.

At this moment, those millions of books and games and photo albums are occupying nearly every inch of horizontal space in the family room (declutter time!). There are some neat pathways carved out for walking, and I think one of the kids has disappeared into an ottoman/book tunnel. Or maybe that's the secret passageway from Scooby Doo.

Because we are who we are, this projector project (!) has necessitated our beginning and/or completing several OTHER projects, because we are the kinds of people who allow project after project to queue up in our house until we have such an ugly build up of project residue that we are forced to tackle them all at the same time. I don't recommend this tactic. In fact, I struggle against this mightily (my husband calls it "nagging" but I think we all know it's really "suggesting"). But--that's how we do.

Never have I desired to be Samantha from Bewitched more. A little nose wiggle and Problem Solved!

Anyway, our projector thing is going to be neat. We even got to watch some football late last night, which I've been informed is the entire reason for doing this in the first place. When did my geek become such a sports guy? Now that I think on it, this project is the perfect blend of geekiness and sports fan-ity. He must be in heaven.

On top off all this (or under, as the case may be), we celebrated two events this weekend: our 12th anniversary (yesterday) and our friends' little girl's birthday. We went out to a fancy dinner on Saturday night. Yes--WE went out on a Saturday night! So much fun. The poor babysitter was just shocked to see our house in complete bookly chaos. And I made the neatest birthday cake EVER for this little girl. We have lots of close friends who ask me to make their kids' birthday cakes because I have all the stuff and it's fun to do and then I also get to make sure the cake is peanut-safe. The cake I made this weekend was a rainbow cake, inside and out. I hope to put pictures on the FamBlog one day soon. I like making cakes, but it's a lot of work! It's even more work when your house looks like it's been assaulted by a bulldozer.

Well, now that you know what I did last weekend, I suppose it's time to go back and work on the house. I have more bookshelves to empty, if you can imagine, because we are now going to do a bookshelf rearrangement mini-project. The old bookcase/entertainment center needs a new home and quickly. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Marnee said...

Weee. Sounds like fun stuff. And happy anniversary!

Family Adventure said...

Hi Jenn,

Sounds like you had a really busy but fun-filled weekend. Good luck with the clean-up after projection injection (sorry, bad, couldn't help it...). My husband would be extremely envious.
I would love to see the picture of your cake, it sounds fantastic. Hope your clean-up week isn't too onerous.

Rational Jenn said...

Thanks, Marnee! It's weird to think I've been married for 1/3 of my life. That makes me sound much older than I feel!

The cake was SO awesome. I hope someone from the party sends me a picture of the inside. What I did was divide the cake batter (white) into thirds and used liquid food coloring to make red, yellow, and blue cakes. Then I poured them in the pan one color at time, trying to layer then on top of each other. The result was very cute. The Birthday Girl was very impressed, I think! I know I was impressed with myself, as I couldn't shut up about my own amazingness at the party or since!

By the way--your pics of Prague are incredible. Beautiful!