Monday, October 29, 2007

Difficultest. Sudoku. Ever.

I love me some Sudoku. I don't think that I have blogged about this love of mine before now, so I will rectify that oversight this evening.

I have always loved pencil puzzles. Crosswords, cryptograms, logic puzzles, what have you. I loved them so much as a child that my parents got me my own subscription to GAMES Magazine so I wouldn't write in theirs. I was 8.

Puzzles are a nice way to pass the time, a relaxing way to exercise the brain. I first picked up Sudoku when Morgan was a nursing baby. (I did crosswords with Ryan.) Puzzles are a fun way to pass the time when confined to the couch with a little parasite nursing babe. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all the warm fuzzies that come with cradling a soft warm little being in my arms for hours and hours. It's very, very nice to watch a baby nurse. And then, it's also nice to multi-task, and so I often utilized that time to read or make grocery lists or do puzzles!

Back to Sudoku--I got pretty good at it, given that Morgan pretty much did not consume solid foods until the age of 9 months and nursed for long after that. I began buying Sudoku books of increasing levels of difficulty, settling for a long while on Frank Longo's Second-Degree Black Belt Sudoku, which offered me many hours of enjoyable, difficult Sudoku puzzles. They were so fun that I bought that same book over and over because even my numbers-related superpower does not allow my brain to keep track of 300 Sudoku puzzles over time. Longo's books are really good because each puzzle has a unique solution and because they are all solvable via logical methods--no brute force necessary (unless that's your thing).

Then I discovered Longo's next series of Sudoku books: the Mensa Absolutely Nasty Sudoku books. I breezed through the first one pretty quickly--it was on par with the Second-Degree Black Belt book. The first half of the second book--mostly fine. The second half---well. I've tried some of the third book and I can solve the odd puzzle, but most are beyond me.

I love it. There are two more books in the series that beckon me!

1 comment:

armando said...

If you want to try out something new in sudoku, try shendoku, using the sudoku rules but playing two people, one against the other, like battleshipps. They have a free version to download at . Anything else they are bringing out or they are working on you can find at or at they´r blog . Have fun, I am. I specially like one slogan I heard about Shendoku: SUDOKU is like masturbation (on your own)…. SHENDOKU is like sex (it takes two).