Sunday, October 07, 2007

I Just Don't Know What To Say

Unusual, I know!

A high school in New York has banned backpacks and other bags in the hallways. For "security" reasons. But, get this--if you are a girl who is menstruating, you can bring your purse into school. Only--if you do bring a purse, expect a few personal questions from school officials:

A 14 year old girl ". . . had a small purse with her at Tri-Valley High School when security guard Mike Bunce called her out of class on Sept. 19. She said Bunce told her she couldn't have a purse unless she had her period and then asked her if she did."

Help me. Please. I think something has short-circuited in my head.

Here's what I remember about being 14 years old and on my period--mortified that, gasp!, someone might find out! It seems silly now, yes, but 14 year-olds are not always the most rational people. Especially when they are hormonal.

The girl should have asked him if he was wearing a jock strap, but then I suppose she would have been in trouble for smarting off to a Person of Authority.

I am enjoying the fact that students in this school have taken to sticking feminine products on their clothing as a humorous measure of protest. Yes, that's quite funny. I think the situation calls for tampon-related humor for the rest of the school year.

This is how schools are operating now. There are school security guards who are out there interrogating students about their menstrual cycles. Tax dollars pay for this. Seriously.

I'm still having trouble getting this to sink into my brain.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Wow. How awful. I think I'd start carrying around a pencil case filled with "pencils." Less hassle.

Public school was enough of a jail back in the 80s and 90s.

Rational Jenn said...

I know! I keep reading things like this and the mind simply boggles.

It really is amazing how much government schools and prisons have in common. My view may be somewhat skewed in that I spent about half of my school career in private (Catholic) schools where the atmosphere was palpably different from the public schools I attended. But my public schools didn't feel quite so oppressive as things seem now. At least we were allowed to talk on the bus!