Monday, October 22, 2007

Sell The Water To The Humans!

So now Georgia has been/will be declared a disaster due to the drought. I'm happy to report that it's been pouring rain since about 6:30 this morning.

This is how mucked up the federal and state governments are. We have to be declared an unholy wreck of a mess in order to be exempt from stupid federal rules that shouldn't be in place to begin with. Here you go:

Georgia officials warn that Lake Lanier, a 38,000-acre reservoir that supplies more than 3 million residents with water, is less than three months from depletion. Smaller reservoirs are dropping even lower.

Perdue [Governor of Georgia] asked the president [DUH-bya] to exempt Georgia from complying with federal regulations that dictate the amount of water released from Georgia's reservoirs to protect federally protected mussel species downstream. (emphasis added)


Mussels? Sorry, mussels, but you need to lose out. I know some people find you delicious and all, but we need water, too.

And...

On Friday, Perdue's office asked a federal judge to force the Army Corps of Engineers to curb the amount of water it drains from Georgia reservoirs into streams in Alabama and Florida.


I'm very confused. How come Georgia water is being sent to AL and FL? Do they pay us for this? Why can't they get their own? (Those meddling kids!) Why is the Army Corps of Engineers involved?

I can't even begin to enumerate the myriad things wrong with this whole scenario.

It's really irritating to understand how much I do NOT understand about important things like water rights and distribution. I need to know and yet I am certain I will be extremely irritated when I do learn more.

Mussels. Sheesh.

No comments: