Sunday, October 21, 2007

Waiting For The Punchline

Yesterday, I kept seeing variations on this headline: "2nd Grader Suspended for Drawing Gun." And I thought, well, if a kid drew a gun in class, then he probably shouldn't be there. I never even clicked on the links to read the story.

How wrong was I?

He didn't draw a gun, he drew a gun. Not gunfight; PICTURE!

Silly me, confused by that crazy old English language.

The kid drew a stick figure man pointing a gun at another stick figure man. He labeled the men "me" and "name withheld."

Kyle gave the picture to another child on the school bus, and that child's parents complained about it to school officials, McDevitt said. Her son told her the drawing was of a water gun, she said.

. . .

Kyle drew other pictures, including a skateboarder, King Tut, a ghost, a tree and a Cyclops, the newspaper reported.

Oh my. I think I need coffee. Was it really a water gun? Was there really an implied threat? This child is seven years old. My kid, if he drew lots of pictures, would be very very likely to draw guns or tanks or soldiers or weapons of some variety. He pretended the mallard ducks at Disney World were "military battle ducks" who wore camouflage and helped him fight battles. (It was pretty funny.) I'm just pointing out that some kids, especially boys I daresay, are interested in battles and weapons.

I don't know the whys and wherefores of this particular child drawing a picture of a man with a gun, but I'll wager that the people running his school don't either. Because they didn't bother to find out. Because there is "zero-tolerance" which is a nice little set of rules for people who don't know how or can't be bothered to fire up their own gray matter.

Time for coffee!

1 comment:

Flibbert said...

Is it just me or is it absolutely adorable that the kid labeled the other guy "name withheld?"

He probably drew lots of pictures like that and just handed them out to everyone who pissed him off that day. Like the lunch lady for refusing to give him another cookie or the douche who made him spill coffee on his Osh Gosh B'Gosh.

Evil? Maybe. Adorable? Oh yes. Genius? Indubitably.