Monday, November 19, 2007

The One About The Police Concert

So we went to The Police concert last night. It was, in a word, ABSOLUTELY AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT!

Now, normally, concerts aren't much my thing, what with the expense, and the traffic, and all those people. But when I heard that The Police were having a reunion tour, I knew we had to go. We were excited just to watch them play when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a few years ago. But . . . live! We've been listening to the live CDs for years and years now.

It took some convincing all the same. Brendan just wasn't sure he wanted to go, what with the expense, the traffic, and all those people. It was my friend Charlie who made me see the plain fact that it wasn't just necessary for us to go, it was a moral imperative. (Thanks!)

So, the concert. They were energetic, fun, the music was tight. It's a joy to watch people doing something they so obviously love and doing it well. So well as to sneak up on greatness, greet it, and leave greatness distantly behind, screaming like a 14 year old girl. Watching Stewart Copeland was my favorite part--the man is a genius.

It was also amazing to be in a place with 11,000 other people (I know, all those people!) who also know ALL the words to ALL the songs. It was a powerful shared experience.

The Police have been in my life since 1983, a thousand rainy days or so ago, when I bought Synchronicity with my very own money. It was the second record album I ever bought with my own money. Now, I wasn't as die hard a fanatic as my friend, whose love for Sting was such that we were made to endure Dune and The Bride for years every time we went to her house. But I was fascinated with the music, the reggae influence, the sound of Sting's voice, the literate lyrics, and how much sound three instruments can make. Their music lives inside my brain and I like it there.

I'm SO HAPPY to have seen them play. I think the lesson here is that it's always worth it to see some icons in action.

1 comment:

brendan said...

Actually, it wasn't the traffic or all those people that made me reluctant to see them (there was the money though -- all that precious money). I just haven't been into them that much for about 10 years, so I haven't listened to them. When I heard they were getting back together & having a show in Atlanta, I was like "meh". I just couldn't get that excited about them...


I honestly don't think I've ever seen ANY musician working as busily as Stewart Copeland was last night. The dude just never stopped for a second. He was working hard like peopleguys!

And Sir Sting was just having the time of his life. As was I. Great show. I think I'll be putting some Police Box Set discs in my car tomorrow.