Saturday, November 10, 2007

Well Now

Our Governor is holding a prayer service to ask the gods for more rain. I can't believe that I didn't see this story until just now.

The governor will host a prayer service next week to ask for relief from the drought gripping the Southeast.

"The only solution is rain, and the only place we get that is from a higher power," Perdue spokesman Bert Brantley said on Wednesday. (emphasis added)

It's next Tuesday. Wanna go?

And here I just got through telling someone that while I do live in the Bible Belt, I'm not being strangled by it. Feels like someone has just cinched it in a notch.

I simply do not know what else I could possibly say about this.


Monica said...

Maybe you could tell him that his efforts would be better served toward political action to get the Endangered Species Act rolled back. (That would help for awhile, at least, although it's not an ultimate solution.) Then maybe after that he could fall back on his prayers for rain.

Sheesh. One of the things that has always bugged me about serious religion (especially in my own family) is that by keeping people forever focused on heaven and earthly helplessness, it does nothing to empower them to take actual action to be responsible for themselves in the present.

Rational Jenn said...

There are so many things wrong with holding a public prayer service, I just don't know where to begin! Here I am, hoping that it's not being paid for in any way shape or form with tax dollars. There's also our governor, who, having failed to negotiate our water problems with AL and FL and the Feds, appears to be just throwing up his hands in helplessness. I want to scream at him "Do Something!"

Then there's the laughable praying to God thing--I mean, all of our governors are Baptist, that's a given, so they all pray and what not. Fine. But a prayer service for rain is powerfully suggestive of an Indian, excuse me, Native American rain dance. Also, don't you think that God has noticed that there's a drought? It should be evident from its severity that he doesn't really give a holy crap about the situation.

I'm just . . . just . . . appalled. How stupid we must look to the rest of the country (even though they would probably pray for rain, too, just not so publicly). What a freaking waste of time.

COD said...

I think all the other religions should demand equal time. The native Americans can hold a rain dance, the Wiccans can do whatever it is they do, and so on.

softwareNerd said...

The Georgia story brought back memories from the movie "Woodstock", where hippies and kid hippie-wannabes, sat in the mud and slush and chanted: "No rain! No rain!"

Monica said...

"Also, don't you think that God has noticed that there's a drought? It should be evident from its severity that he doesn't really give a holy crap about the situation."

Well there is that part about pushing the elevator button so many times that it becomes spuriously correlated to the elevator actually coming. The more they pray, the more justified they'll feel when rain actually does come... and at some point, it's bound to. So they'll say, "See, God really does listen to our prayers!"