Friday, December 28, 2007

And In Hello Kitty News. . .

Hello Kitty is now being targeted toward young men!

"We think Hello Kitty is accepted by young men as a design statement in fashion," [said the company spokesman].

Huh. I'd be really interested to know if this is actually true or merely wishful thinking. Maybe it's a Japanese thing--it's cool for young men in Japan to be obsessed with Hello Kitty. Not really seeing it here though.

The usual bubble-headed shape of Hello Kitty was slightly changed for a more rugged, cool look to appeal to men in their teens and early 20s.

Well, as long as she's rugged. Does that mean she has a five o'clock shadow?

I'm perfectly willing to concede that I am blind to the ins and outs of fashion and trends. It's just. . . just. . . I live with a Hello Kitty-obsessed two-year-old girl, so I kind of have HK lumped in my brain with Strawberry Shortcake and Barbie and such like. Perhaps my mind is too narrow to see the obvious attraction that young men must have for Hello Kitty.

I wonder what Mr. Hello Kitty Hell thinks of this new marketing plan. OMG! I just went to his website and learned several disturbing things. Did you know there is a Hello Kitty Military Style Rifle? And Hello Kitty contact lenses? Those are truly creepy. And another rifle! Zoiks!**

Now my mind is boggling at Sanrio's sudden desire to branch out into the "young men" market. They are obviously already marketing evil geniuses. They know full well what they are doing. What kind of havoc will this new strategy wreak upon the world as we know it? I ask you, what?!?!?!?!


**Although those items are by far not the most disturbing Hello Kitty product ever produced. (Warning: do not click this link if you are prudish or squeamish or easily offended or love Hello Kitty in an innocent, childlike way. NSFW. NSFKids. NSFAnyone. You have been warned. Seriously. It won't be my fault if you can't get that image out of your head. Don't write me hate mail or make me moderate my comments. You. Have. Been. Warned.)

No comments: