Sunday, December 30, 2007

Another Harry Potter Book?

Evidently, an eighth book is "not out of the question."

According to a report Sunday in London's Daily Mail, Rowling said she has "moments of weakness" when she feels drawn to revisit the character, and that her biggest fan — her teen daughter Jessica — has been urging her to write another Potter book.

Rowling, 42, said that if she should decide to continue the series, the next book would not focus on Harry Potter as the main character.

Personally, I'd love to read about the original Order of the Phoenix, their battles and struggles. I know we have the bare facts about what happened--Lily and James Potter were part of the resistance, the Weasleys, Dumbledore, Mad-Eye, etc. But I'd love to have it dramatized. For example, how difficult must it have been to even have brought a child into the world in those dark times? And how hopeful, too! I imagine that the Potters, the Longbottoms, the Weasleys must have felt as I did on 9/11--concerned for the future of my unborn child.

We readers of the seven books are in the position of Harry, Hermione, and Ron in that we really don't know what it was like before What's-His-Name met his near-demise at the hands of a little 1 year old boy. This prequel could be a much darker, even more grownup book, since it would pertain to grownup matters.

But you know, Jo hasn't asked my opinion just yet, but hey, if she does, I'll be ready with an answer! I have read that she is working on two other novels now, and I think she'll probably knock them out first.


Crimson Wife said...

I would love to see a book similar to "Ender's Shadow" by Orson Scott Card, where it takes place during the same time period but from the POV of a different character. I think it would be interesting to find out more about Snape and Draco in particular. We always see them from Harry's perspective and I'd love to see an alternative take on them.

Rational Jenn said...

That's an interesting idea, too. I loved Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow just really enhanced the entire story for me.

Snape's story would be interesting, too. Oh, there's so many possibilities! I hope Jo Rowling reads my blog so she can be inspired by our wonderful ideas!


Sketch Sepahi said...

I'd rather she continued the story forward. Maybe with one of Harry's children as the protagonist or something similar.