Thursday, December 20, 2007

Best. Greek. Cookies. Ever.

The pain in my head (kopfschmerzen, if I remember my German correctly) has subsided a bit. So I think I will share an old family recipe with you. Not my old family, mind you, but my Super Good Friend and Next Door Neighbor Extraordinaire's old family. She makes these cookies every Christmas and is kind enough to share them with us. She's making them right now, in fact! Lucky lucky lucky me--I'm gonna have cookies and I haven't really done my baking yet.

Kourabiedes--Greek Powdered Sugar Cookies

1 pound unsalted butter, melted and clarified
2 pounds powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

  • Preheat oven to 325.
  • Melt butter and clarify by skimming the white milk solids off the top.
  • In electric mixer, mix clarified butter and egg yolks on medium for about 10 minutes.
  • Sprinkle 1 cup of powdered sugar, a little at a time, until mixed thoroughly.
  • Add vanilla and mix.
  • Add flour a little at a time, mixing thoroughly.
  • Shape dough into balls or crescents or loops or s-shapes, using between 1 and 1.5 teaspoons of dough for one cookie.
  • Place on ungreased cookie sheet, allowing for plenty of room because they will spread out some.
  • Bake on center rack for 11-15 minutes until gently browned on the bottom.
  • Place cooked cookies on a platter and sift powdered sugar on top of them WHILE THEY ARE STILL WARM. This is important, so as to cram as many carbs into the cookies as physically possible. Really, it's impossible to add too much sugar.
  • Sprinkle again with powdered sugar just before serving.

You will usually find these cookies at a typical Greek Festival. Now, I'm not sure about butter and egg substitutions for food allergies. If you happen to try them and it works, or even if it doesn't, be sure to let me know!

Oh hooray! The cookies are here! Bye!

No comments: