Monday, December 24, 2007

Silent Day

Well, I've gone and lost my voice. I have one of those weird colds that settled on my actual vocal cords and it has killed my voice, although my breathing and sinus functions have been left intact. Not the worst cold to get by a long shot, especially since I'm not in any pain, but it does make my primary job slightly difficult. I pulled Ryan aside and whispered, "My voice isn't working well, so I need you to do an extra good job of listening today." And he, fascinated with the new, whispery me, blithely replied, "Well, I can hear you just fine right now." Hmph.

Really, there aren't many disadvantages to having no voice today. We have to go pick up the roast at the butcher today and I suppose that might be awkward, but if I'm silent until then, I might be able to muster up some sound to give them my confirmation number. Parenting is always a challenge without the ability to scream "Noooooooooooooooooo!" but I have extra back up parents in the form of Grandma and Grandpa, who admittedly are unlikely to scream "Nooooooooooo!" when I would (for example, if the 2 year old walked through the family room carrying a large bucket of water) and are likely to do so when I wouldn't (if someone jumps off of a step stool). But still, it's something. And Brendan has some work to get done today, but after that, he'll be in full parent mode, ready to scream "Noooooooooooo!" at a moment's notice.

Also, it will be easier to have conversations with my parents. Because I truly know that I am often not necessary to the conversation and yet I do persist in responding to their statements in appropriate ways. Often this is a waste of my breath and time. Not today! I can just nod and smile and they will probably find me extra agreeable and charming!

So really, picking the day before a holiday to lose one's voice, not such bad timing. If it were any random Monday, I'd be in real trouble.

Any thoughts on how to get my voice back that do not involve drugs? For various reasons, I can't take much more than Sudafed--you read that right, I'm currently in possession of that dangerous substance, take THAT, DEA! I've been drinking hot tea this morning and it soothes the scratchiness, but other than that.....what, honey? Lozenges?

Our goals for today include picking up our prime rib roast for tomorrow (yum) and playing Team Trivia at our local pizza place and making a Blueberry Buckle for tomorrow's breakfast and unwrapping a few gifts (jammies and the kids' gifts to each other and possibly the new nutcrackers my aunt always sends the kids) and eating Lou Malnati's (yes!) and NOT eating any more Christmas cookies and then tonight, working hard like peopleguys assembling a few large toy items. What a fun day!

2 comments:

PurdueAttorney said...

I am so glad to find out that Lou Malnati's is part of someone else's holiday tradition as well.

Rational Jenn said...

It is, and it was AWESOME! I do enjoy some Lou.

By the way, I went to Purdue, too! (And so did my husband and so did my brother and so did my parents....).

Thanks for stopping by!