Friday, February 01, 2008

Fun Day

We had a very fun day with friends, so I did not have time to do any writing. And I'm pretty tired now, so this will be brief.

I have completed several books from my Triple 8 Challenge. In the month of January, I read:

Writing Road to Reading 5th Rev Ed: The Spalding Method for Teaching Speech, Spelling, Writing, and Reading, Romalda Bishop Spalding and Mary Elizabeth North. Very epistemologically sound book about teaching reading to young kids. I thought it was extremely interesting and will probably incorporate some of the principles when it comes time to help my people learn to read (unless they do like I did and just suddenly begin reading, which would be a lot less effort for me).

The Leper's Return, Squire Throwleigh's Heir, and Belladonna at Belstone, all by Michael Jecks. Medieval murder mysteries. Entertaining and low-effort. Love the details about various aspects of life in the middle ages.

The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers: Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Childs Sleep by Elizabeth Pantley. I have read this book through again and am using some techniques with some success to gently detach Morgan from my backside at night. Go me.

I just started Cryptonomicon last night. I think I've made good progress on my Triple 8 Challenge. It's fun to have a list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just to let you know...I've been on the same timeline with the Amer. Comm. Survey as you and my first phone call came yesterday....I'm also 5 mos. into a high-risk pregnancy and hate that they are adding to stress that I really can't have right now. Determined to see this through without answering.
Another Jen...

Rational Jenn said...

It has been ominously silent here. I expect the calls to begin any day.

Please try to let the phone ring and not cause you stress (I know, easier said than done). I'm confident that nothing will happen to us if we don't respond--all the research I've done seems to confirm this and the stories others have shared do, too.

It's nice to know that there are others resisting on principle--if you need any words of encouragement, please stop by. Take good care of yourself and your baby (I'm 19 weeks pregnant myself).