Thursday, February 07, 2008

Living With Food Allergies Carnival #10


Welcome to the February 7, 2008 edition of living with food allergies carnival.


Recipes

We've got some great ideas for you this time!


Sally Parrott Ashbrook presents Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, High-Fiber Muffins (Delicious, too) posted at Aprovechar.



Alisa presents Light & Easy Bananas with a Dairy-Free Caramel Sauce posted at Go Dairy Free.



Alisa presents So, I have been baking ? posted at One Frugal Foodie, saying, "Testing out recipes from My Sweet Vegan, Namaste Foods, and for two other upcoming food allergy cookbooks! All dairy-free, some egg-free, some nut-free, and even the Namaste gluten-free bread mix!"



Libby presents Lasagna posted at The Allergic Kid.




News and Research

MLO presents When Two Communities Collide - Food Allergy and Infertility/Women?s Health Communities Meet Here posted at MLO Knitting, saying, "This is just an observation I have found as two communities I am in have collided with one another."


TheNourisher presents Bread Dread: Are you Really Gluten Intolerant? posted at Nourished Magazine, saying, "Many believe themselves to be gluten intolerant. How then, did our agrarian ancestors live on the stuff? Clive Lawlor puts the blame for modern digestive damage from wheat and other gluten grains squarely on the shoulders of the food convenience industry."



Victoria Groce presents New Research: Probiotics for Eczema, and a Word of Caution posted at About.com Food Allergies.



Support and Advice


chupieandjsmama presents Flying With A Child With Food Allergies posted at Our Story. Good information, since we have special considerations when traveling.


Rachel presents Supporting others with food allergies posted at A Gaggle of Girls, saying, "these are tips for newly diagnosed, and links"



Gina Clowes presents ABC's to a Safe Valentine's Day Party! posted at Allergy Moms Blog, saying, "It's sometimes easier to get others attention with something in writing so I prepared these tips in a printer-friendly format. Hopefully these tips will make dealing with food allergies at Valentine's Day a little easier."



Leslea Harmon from allergyware.com presents Lunchroom update posted at Allergy News Blog, saying, "A classmate of Sam's put a peanut into his food, at lunch time. What to do?"


Special Announcement!


Gina from Allergy Moms Blog (see above), has a great idea for our carnival--themes! Some of the ideas she suggested are a Recipe edition, a "Safe Lists" edition, Travel Tips, and Restaurant Chains. Send in more ideas for themes, too. So, I think we'll start off with the Recipe theme--for the next edition, February 21st, make a blog post (or two) with some of your favorite tried and true recipes, and send it in to the carnival! Of course, if there's something else you're itching (ha!) to write about, feel free to send it in, too.


And let me know if you'd like to host! I've already heard from Victoria, but we are always looking to spread out the hosting duties and rewards (lots of hits).


That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of living with food allergies carnival using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.



Technorati tags:

, .


9 comments:

Leslea from allergyware.com said...

Okay, I need to make some bananas and caramel!!!

Re: themes, how about a school theme? School seems to BE my theme lately. :P

Leslea from allergyware.com said...

Also, I will host again. Just tell me when.

MLO said...

Hi, I tend to go by MLO online. Pseudoprivacy issues. (Yes, I know a simple Google can figure this out, but my employers, et al are sort of lazy.)

I really am enjoying your carnival and would be willing to host one.

Rational Jenn said...

Hi MLO--I updated the carnival to reflect your name preference. It comes through blog carnival that way (it picks up your blog/profile info automatically) and there is no way for me to know anything different, so I'm sorry about that. I recommend checking your submission very carefully before sending it and if you have any questions about a submission, just send me an email! Thanks!

Alisa said...

I think themes targeted at upcoming holidays / times of year will also be helpful.

Rational Jenn said...

Alisa, that's a great idea! So many holidays involve food. What's the next big one coming up? (Besides Valentine's of course, but it's too late for us to write something about that.) I think it's Easter/Passover. I know the traditional Easter is early this year (March 23). So we'll definitely do that one. Thanks for the idea!

Allergy Mom said...

Thanks again for putting together the carnival. I would be happy to host one if you don't mind giving detailed instructions. Maybe one of the recipe themed carnivals? Libby

Angela said...

I'm glad I came across your blog...though I originally was attracted by the food allergy info, I found the homeschooling/objectivist links interesting too. Not that food allergies would ever be a significant reason to homeschool (I would say the philosophy of it is more important), but it makes dealing with the allergies easier, doesn't it? This is a neat "carnival."

Rational Jenn said...

Hi Angela! Welcome! I'm with you--the philosophy behind choosing to homeschool is most important. We decided to homeschool before the peanut kaboom. But it does make it just another good reason to homeschool! And if there was ever a reason to make a parent think twice about sending their kid off to school, I'd say food allergies would be quite a good reason!

Thanks for stopping by!