Sunday, February 03, 2008

Neat! But, Why?

NASA is going to beam The Beatles' "Across the Universe" (one of my personal faves) into deep space tomorrow. In 431 years, space beings traveling in the general vicinity of Polaris will be able to download this MP3 and be amazed by the genius of John Lennon.

But. The title of this post really captures my sentiments about this event. I mean, yay for The Beatles and all, but I'm left wondering two vital questions: What is the point? And, more importantly: How much is this going to cost?

Although I wholeheartedly support this forward-thinking strategy of one of the companies that owns the rights to The Beatles' songs:

One of those companies, Apple, was happy to approve the idea because [it] is "always looking for new markets" . . . .

Too bad the whole scheme isn't privately funded by business.


david said...

Bah. Not a Beatles fan, so I oppose this idea, regardless of who is paying for it!

On the other hand, if they were to use Frank Sinatra -- perhaps "Fly Me To The Moon" -- then I would be willing to pay more federal taxes in order to support the effort.

Mike N said...

They're always looking for new markets? Where? On Neptune?