Friday, March 21, 2008


I just realized that today is Johann Sebastian Bach's birthday (by the old calendar)! He's always been a favorite of mine. I have always enjoyed learning and playing Bach pieces on the piano and flute. There's something about the way all of the melodies and countermelodies weave together that really engages my brain. There's always something new to discover.

Interesting guy. Did you know he had 20 children? And only 2 wives. I have always wondered if those women were just exhausted.


Stella said...

I always wondered the same thing about the two Mrs. Bachs. My uterus hurts just thinking about it!

heroicdreams said...

I agree. Bach is my favourite composer outside of the Romantic era.

Rational Jenn said...

Stella, that cracked me up! Honestly, the two I have make me tired. Can't imagine a dozen and a half more!

HD--Bach is awesome. The Brandenburg Concertos are my favorites, although I am also a fan of the Two- and Three-Part Inventions. It's the weaving in and out, the intricacy, it's like a puzzle for the ear. I love puzzles, too, by the way.

Stella said...

The 2- and 3-part inventions were about as much as I was ever able to play. I would have loved to learn the Art of the Fugue, but even the 3-parters were a struggle for me -- I was a pianist of intermediate ability at best. (And I haven't practiced in years -- no room for a piano in my tiny NYC apartment -- so I couldn't even handle the 2-parters now!)

As for my viola-playing self, I loved playing the Brandenburg concerti, the double violin concerto in D minor (not that I was very good at it), and the cello suites transposed for viola. Again, something I haven't done in years, and something I'd like to get back my ability for in the future.