Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What She Said

Monica pretty much sums up my thoughts on the political situation in the US and the election. So, thank you.

Oh, and she pointed me to a website called, which has information about where the presidential candidates stand (or not) on this issue and which few Representatives voted against it. Very interesting, and I will be investigating this website in more detail.

The prospect of a Real ID makes me think of this scene from The Hunt for Red October (the movie, can't remember if it was in the book or not):

Capt. Vasili Borodin: I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?
Captain Ramius: I suppose.
Capt. Vasili Borodin: No papers?
Captain Ramius: No papers, state to state.
My goodness, I'd like to keep it that way.


Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

The Real-ID thing is very scary, even sans RFID chip.

My state is "thinking about it." However, the citizens are against it, so I am guessing the state filed the paperwork in order to buy time.

My question: What should we do if we refuse?

I suppose not going to a Federal Building is not going to ruin my day. And NM is plenty big enough that I won't feel too bad not traveling.

My passport is good until 2012, though, so I am not likely to feel the pain until then.

The whole thing is such a transparent ruse to control us and remove our freedoms.

Maybe we should all just refuse to fly and let the airlines go out of business?

C. August said...

I hadn't thought about the connection to Hunt for Red October, but the prospect of needing ID to cross state lines is chilling, and doesn't stretch the imagination that much to see some politician proposing it in a few years.

Though since we're talking about Sean Connery here, Capt. Ramius' response would have been:

"No papersh, schtate to schtate."

Rational Jenn said...

Ah, Sean Connery!

At least one DHS official was dreaming out loud about other possible uses for the Real ID when he said last January:

"If you have a good would make it much harder for meth labs to function in this country."

That was Stewart Baker, asst secretary for Policy with the DHS.

Right now the only restrictions are on entering federal buildings, nuclear power plants, and to fly on commercial airplanes. But it's easy to see how tempting it will be for the feds to require it in other ways, since the "War on Drugs" is, in their view, a threat to homeland security.

It's bad enough that I have to present my Driver's License to buy Sudafed--but Baker just hinted that I might not be able to buy it without a Real ID!

The DHS is also touting this as a way to prevent identity theft. And it's easy to foresee that other government offices and possibly private businesses would gradually come to "prefer" a Real ID instead of a state-issued driver's license, when a person is out of state and must do things like rent a car or visit a post office or buy Sudafed. That's how I can see a need for people to present their Real ID when traveling out of state, simply because they are out of state.

"Papieren, Bitte!"

EHL--I don't fly too much, but I can see when I'd want to. We have family in Arizona and California. The rest are within driving distance--painful, yes, but we could do it. We're looking into passports. And I love the idea of just refusing to fly--but I suspect you knew I would--let's all go on strike! :o)

It is so transparent and what's galling me today is how many people actually support it, how many people are unaware that they are accepting chains in exchange for freedom. Ugh.

I'm also beginning to wonder when it will be a requirement for children to have a Real ID. When I was small, getting a SSN for me was an option. My parents chose it. Now it's difficult to live life in the US without a SSN and you apply for one at the hospital with your newborn. We "chose" to get SSNs for the kids, but it didn't really feel like a choice. I wonder if we should have refused, but there are so many ways in which the SSN is used for non-Social Security reasons. I think the Real ID will end up being used the same way.