Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Guess Where We're Going Today?

My friend (also an Objectivist homeschooling mom--imagine that, more than one in the same city!) just called with a suggestion for a field trip today--the Chattahoochee Nature Center. Since the only thing on my agenda today is laundry, I was naturally quite willing to postpone that activity in exchange for a chance to see our friends and walk around a beautiful nature center with the kids. They will love it. And I'll throw a load of laundry in the washer before we head out the door. See? Multi-tasking!

Then it occurred to me that it's Earth Day. I quickly called my friend and we laughed at the idea that we are probably the only mothers in existence who might want to avoid a nature center today, of all days. But the big celebration occurred last Saturday (according to the website), while I was off watching exploited horses being paraded around an arena for my own amusement, so I think that we will be good to go today. At least the school kids will be in their schools and maybe it won't be too crowded. And it's supposed to be such a nice day (currently 67 with a high of 79!), I would hate to waste it doing laundry!

Yesterday, C. August was pondering how he will handle Earth Day with his children. It was a good post and something I've considered quite a bit--how to handle it when our kids are exposed to bad ideas, ideas we don't agree with. I'm certain that every parent has had to encounter this problem. You can see my response on his post, but in a nutshell, the few times any Earth Day questions have come up, I have tried to redirect the focus away from "saving" the Earth as an end in itself and more toward what are some of the rational reasons for humans to desire and preserve/provide a clean environment. It's all been very high-level so far--an advantage to them not being in school is that they aren't very exposed to environmentalism. We get it from time to time at one of our homeschooling groups, but one of the things I like about that particular homeschooling group is that people are not really agenda-pushy about things like that and are respectful of each parent's right to decide which ideas their kids are exposed to.

Oh, and the other fun thing I did for Earth Day is that I hired Bug Pest Peopleguys to come to my house and spray poison inside and out to kill all of the bugs for the year. I'm not anti-bug (just as I'm not anti-Earth), but if the bugs can't figure out how to live outside of my house, then I must provide them with an incentive to do so. Yay. For. Me. And Yay for Randy, our favorite Bug Pest Peopleguy, who just left to go spray some more poison on another house. Here's to another year of not seeing scorpions!

Well, off to get some things done before our outing. Have a nice Tuesday!

3 comments:

Kelly Elmore said...

I happen to be the other homeschooling mom in Jenn's neck of the woods, so I thought I would report on our trip. It was lovely. No rangers accosted us and tried to indoctrinate our babies, and we spend most of the afternoon watching the kids torment a goose. (Well, they were trying to feed him grass and make friends with him, but he didn't appreciate it much.)

But I did plant a vegetable garden this evening, so I hope none of the neighbors thought I was doing any Earth Day celebrating.

LB said...

What an excellent way to celebrate Earth Day - Pesticides: Think Globally, Act Locally. I wish I had thought of it.

Rational Jenn said...

Kelly--it was a nice afternoon, wasn't it? My kids had a great time.

LB--that was too funny! Now I want a bumper sticker! I did act locally and I'm very proud of my moral stance on the bug issue. :o)