Thursday, April 17, 2008

Living With Food Allergies #15





Welcome to the April 17, 2008 edition of the Living with Food Allergies blog carnival. Our bloggers have quite a bit of solid, practical advice for dealing with allergy issues day-to-day. Thanks to all who participated this time!



Aaron Dwyer presents Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Information - Blog » Blog Archive » Allergy Skin Testing - Episode #1 posted at Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Information - Blog, saying, "this is the first episode of my online TV show, with great content about skin testing." This episode--and others--is a great way to educate family and friends about some of the issues involving food allergies. They are very well done--thanks, Aaron!



Jennifer B presents Allergen Labeling for Non-Food Items posted at Food Allergy Buzz. Important information for those avoiding certain allergens--they can be found in non-food items, too. For us, lotions are especially tricky, since I do my best to avoid tree nut oils as well as peanut oil (arachis oil). And it wasn't until after my son's Big Peanut Kaboom that I discovered that the liquid fabric softener we had been using contained peanut oil as an emulsifier! Once we switched, the mysterious ring-around-the-ankles eczema cleared right up, imagine that!



Alisa presents The Practical Management of Atopic Eczema in Children posted at Go Dairy Free, saying, "Awesome article that Foods Matter allowed me to reprint." And speaking of eczema! These are great tips for dealing with it.



Alisa presents Wine May Pose Risks for Milk Allergies posted at Go Dairy Free, saying, "This one is actually from AllergicGirl. She has a great follow-up post to this on finding eggs in mixed drinks!" Something my son won't have to worry about for a while. I have often wondered about allergens in mixed drinks (for example, is Amaretto even safe?), but had never even once thought about wine.



Hannah (by way of Alisa) presents Alone in the Kitchen with Pancakes posted at BitterSweet, saying, "This allergy-friendly pancake recipe is very versatile (use a different milk alternative for soy-free) and can be scaled up for the number of people since it is for one serving!"



chupieandjsmama presents a review of the book The Triumph Dining Gluten Free Restaurant Guide posted at Our Story.



chupieandjsmama presents EPI Ready Storage Case posted at Our Story. This is a new Epi-pen case that can be wall-mounted, which is great for public places like camps or schools.



allergicmom presents Welcome to Kindergarten posted at my kids' allergies. Sounds like a great experience with a knowledgeable teacher!



Mamique presents Through Someone Else's Lungs posted at Casein Point, saying, "Hi, I'm new to the blogosphere. It's great to know there is such a fantastic support network, yet sad that we need it in the first place. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's stories and sharing my experiences." Welcome, Mamique! And congratulations on getting the manager of the store to reconsider where they refill their bulk bins of peanuts. Those bins make me nervous, too, and I resolve to speak to a manager next time I shop at a store that uses bins (my regular grocery store does not use bulk bins for any major allergen, which is part of why I shop there, but sometimes I stray from the known).



Gina Clowes presents allergymoms.com : : Blog » Peanut Allergy Warning posted at Allergy Moms Blog. This is a heartbreaking story and reiterates the dire need for education, education, education.



Nowheymama presents Seven posted at No Whey, Mama, saying, "Here are links to several great dairy-free recipes." Thanks!



Libby presents Garlic & Rosemary Wheat Crackers posted at The Allergic Kid, saying, "These crackers are egg and dairy free, and taste best when shaped like dinosaurs." I agree that many foods taste better when they are dinosaur-shaped. :o)


That concludes this edition. Coming up--Food Allergy Awareness Week, May 11-17th. Our second edition in May will fall during that week, so let's make it a big one! This would be a great opportunity to share your story, challenges, things you have learned, etc.


Submit your blog article to the next edition of the Living with Food Allergies Carnival using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.



Technorati tags:

, .



5 comments:

Gabs said...

Great list of posts!

Someday, Jenn, I will really get my act together and submit for a carnival. Is there a notification list for entries? I have the RSS feed once the carnival goes live, but nothing to remind me when the next one is?

Rational Jenn said...

Hi Gabs--I have a sort of informal list that I send reminders out to. So if you'd like to be added, send an email to rationalREMOVEjennATgmailDOTcom.

Thanks!

ChupieandJ'smama said...

Fantastic submissions. I'm so impressed by all this things I learn and read. Thanks for doing this!!!

Allergy Mom said...

Thanks so much for all your hard work! Just let me know when you'd like me to host another one. Libby

jenny said...

Hi friends..... If you are suffering by chronic allergies then give a look on it.. http://www.rvita.com. Here you will find out several remedies with all modalities of alternative therapy.