Friday, April 04, 2008

Random Friday

Well, we've had a nice morning. Once everyone got over the fact that Brendan is not here and will not be here until tomorrow afternoon at the absolute earliest, that is. It's hard to be small and not have any concept of time or the fact that sometimes the people we love have to be other places than Right Here. And Ryan understands enough about what's going on that he's a little sad and stressed, even though he doesn't quite remember Mimi. He asked if she got to see the pictures they made for her while she was in the hospital and seemed comforted when I told him that she had indeed seen, and enjoyed, the pictures. He drew her pictures of Armies in Battles, if I recall. If you are ever in the hospital, he will be happy to draw you some pictures of Armies Having A Battle, so please just ask! :o)

I was up a little bit in the middle of the night with Morgan, who eventually fell back asleep using my enormous belly as a pillow! It was amusing, even at 4 in the morning. I wonder how my super-snuggly-touchy-feely child is going to handle having a baby around the house. I'm told that girls generally get into the baby thing. We'll find out I guess!

We went to Borders this morning as a Get Out Of The House activity. I got some books that are on my Triple 8 Challenge list (see sidebar for details) and the kids each got a book, too. Morgan got a neat little book with some kind of optical illusion pictures in it, that makes it look like the horse is really galloping, the monkey really swinging, etc. Ryan chose a DK book about the American Revolution--he is SO excited. He pointed out George Washington and the Redcoats to random people in the bookstore, and was very interested to learn who Henry Knox was. I've always liked Knox myself--bookseller-turned-artillery-commander. Cool. My little history buff. I'm so proud. :o)

Oh! And this blog has received another hit from the Census Bureau, just this afternoon! Someone there searched phrase "American Community Survey" and found me. I suppose it's better that they keep landing here on the basis of a search rather than just coming here directly, although it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn that I'm on some sort of list. I'm glad they keep coming back, I really am. They've got to know that there are many people who detest what they're doing. Maybe someone will get a clue.

We're supposed to have some terrific storms this afternoon (Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote . . . .). I should have gone to Home Depot to pick up a rain barrel, as a way to save some rainwater so we can water our plants. Oh well--maybe this weekend.

Speaking of Chaucer again, through a friend of mine, I learned that Geoffrey Chaucer hath a blog! How cool is that? One of the contributing authors is Katherine de Swineford, who is the subject of one of my VERY FAVORITEST BOOKS EVER: Katherine, by Anya Seton. OMG, it is so good. If you haven't read it, go now and buy it or borrow it, and read it instantly. You won't regret it. For those of you unfamiliar with Katherine Swynford, she was Geoffrey Chaucer's sister-in-law (her sister Philippa was married to him) and the mistress (and eventual third wife) of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster. Their children were the ancestors of many future Kings of England. (Just so you know, I wrote all that history from memory and only linked to the wikipedia entry afterwards. Not to brag, but to show you that's how many times I've read that book!) So of course I'm interested in Katherine's work on the Chaucer blog!

I have so many other random things floating around in my head that they keep bumping into each other and wiping each other out, so that I forget them as fast as I recall them. Very akin to having an Asteroids game inside one's head, with some kind of weird brain firing mechanism shooting down most of my brilliant thoughts before I can get them out of my head. I can see the thoughts as they appear in my head, but they only float inside long enough to get blasted into pieces. It's pregnancy-related. Or possibly age-related. Or it could just be me. Anywhoodles, I will be sure to enrich your life by posting them here as soon as I can recall them. They're interesting to ME anyway!

1 comment:

LB said...

Rats! I wished I had read this yesterday - I just came home from the bookstore with 2 teen novels and 2 beady-thing birthday presents - no books for me! Anya Seton, Anya Seton...yeah, I might remember that.

Thanks for the recommendation.