Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Why Learning History Is Important

Reason # 7,098 to learn some history: you might not make a complete ass of yourself!

I just burst out laughing when I saw this!

Thank you, Kendall J!


C. August said...

It is really funny, but I saw this yesterday, and I actually took it in the opposite way.

I saw this and thought they meant:

"Would we, knowing what we know now, allow the Nazis to host the Olympics? Obviously not. We have learned that lesson. If so, then we can't miss the fact that China is waaay too close to Nazi Germany for us to allow them to host the Olympics."

So I accepted that the sign holder was being ironic, and fully understood that the Nazis hosted the olympics.

I'm probably being too optimistic, and will soon learn that the signholder was little better than a "Jay Leno" street interviewee who answers "Washington" when asked the question "Who is buried in Grant's tomb?"

But for this evening, I'll be happy in my thought that the person who wrote that sign was at least somewhat intelligent. I'm just pessimistic enough to recognize that I'm probably wrong. Sigh.....

Rational Jenn said...

I did think of that after I had posted it, but it's still too funny, so I left it!

Although I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the word "allowed"--who is "we" and why would "we" "allow" a country to host the Olympics as opposed to just, maybe, deciding not to participate? International relations zips right by me usually, so perhaps I'm missing some nuance here.

I don't know whether you are being too optimistic or not--kind of hard to decide! And I don't know what I'd rather believe, really.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...