Thursday, May 15, 2008

Great News!

First of all, Ria has the Food Allergy Awareness Week edition of the Living with Food Allergies blog carnival over at Check My Tag. Don't miss it!

In other, more personal food allergy news, Ryan had skin testing for tree nuts today: ALL NEGATIVE. Every single one.


We went back and forth about whether to even put him through the skin testing and had actually decided against it. But when we were in there, Ryan said he wanted to do it. The way the doc explained it was that if a kid without any other known food allergies (or family history) had the same tree nut scores as Ryan (Class 2s and 3s for about 5 or 6 nuts), then he would consider them low enough not to worry about, especially given the high rate of false positives on the RAST . Given that Ryan is Class 6 for peanuts and there is a 20-30% chance of him having a tree nut allergy, he thought it prudent to do the skin testing to rule out the TNA.

I was prepared to refuse it if Ryan was adamant, but he said he wanted to do it, even after I explained what would happen (and I know from personal experience). It went surprisingly well, after the initial shock, I mean. I had him giggling toward the end of the waiting period.

And now we know. PA only, and probably for life, but nothing else. I think he's glad to know it--so am I, to be honest. He told everyone in the checkout area that he was happy that he could eat ANYTHING he wanted to, except for peanuts, but when the doctors and scientists finished making that peanut medicine, he'd be able to eat peanuts, too.

And we didn't do any testing for Miss M, since according to the doc, a Class "0/1" is clinically insignificant. Which was exactly what I was hoping he'd say.

So, yay!


C. August said...

Goddamn. That is so frickin' awesome. I don't know what else to say. I'm so happy for you guys, and so proud of Ryan for chosing what he wanted to do, and having it turn out so well. (and proud of you for letting him do it!)

Just awesome.

Rational Jenn said...

Thanks, C. I am so glad to know for sure.

He did get upset when they pricked his skin, and I felt badly about that, because even though I tried my best to describe what it would feel like, I knew that he couldn't make a fully rational, fully informed decision, what with being 6 years old and everything. It was on his arm and I think the worst part was having to *look* at it and not touch it and be reminded about it. (Neither of my kids like to view cuts or scrapes as they are horrible desecrations of their own personal selves.)

But after the first few minutes, he settled down and I entertained the crew by fanning his arm with a book and pretending to screw that job up by fanning the wall, or accidentally smacking myself or them in the forehead instead. Gotta love physical comedy!

Anyway, it's over and we know and he was SO HAPPY. I could see that there was going to be no reaction right away and it was so awesome.

Thanks for your support and concern--as always.

C. August said...

I know PA is so much worse than anything I ever dealt with, but as a kid I had severe hay fever. I remember playing at a house up the street when I was 6 or 7, and their yard was mostly dead grass and weeds. By the time I got home, my eyes had swollen shut and my throat was rapidly closing. My dad had to force a spoon of liquid Benadryl down my throat.

Anyway, my point is that this precipitated a trip to the allergist, and I got the full complement of skin tests. On my back. They put a grid on my back and I got something like 30 or 40 (or more... it felt like a million) pricks on my back, and a good 50% lit up. It was torture.

But, after a few years of regular shots, the allergy symptoms died down and I could just treat it with Actifed (always liked it better than Benadryl for some reason), and now I have almost no hay fever at all.

Hopefully Ryan's right, the scientist peopleguys will invent Peanut Medicine, and by his mid-30s he'll be scarfing down peanut butter if he so desires.

Allergy Mom said...

What awesome news. I am praying for the day when we will hear that we are peanut allergy free. If only peanut medicine would come sooner than later.

ChupieandJ'smama said...

Congrats to your son! How awesome that he decided on his own to do it. Peanuts are bad enough, but at least now he doesn't have to worry about the tree nuts.