Thursday, May 08, 2008

Objectivist Round Up #42!






Welcome to the May 8, 2008 edition of the Objectivist Round Up! Yes, I actually remembered to post it--but just barely. I was chatting with a fellow OBlogger via email about the carnival and it took until the end of my response for me to realize that today was indeed Carnival Day and I'd better do something about it. So thank you, you-know-who-you-are, and happy reading to all of you!



UPDATE: Thank you, Paul, for pointing out that my numbering is off! This is the 42nd edition!


Stella presents A bleak future posted at ReasonPharm, saying, "Take a good look at what the future will be under socialized medicine -- not care for all, but the death of innovation."



Paul McKeever presents Gibberish is Gibberish (another argument against Atheism) posted at Paul McKeever, saying, "Replace "space" with "time", and a theist's argument for creationism and God is exposed as pure silliness."



Paul McKeever presents Of David Archuleta, Mark Steyn, and Reason posted at Paul McKeever, saying, "A post about music, joy, and those who want to make both impossible."



John Drake presents My Purpose in Life posted at Try Reason!, saying, "Self-reflection on what is my central purpose leads me to an answer and a mission statement that best defines my life and my passions."



Sascha Settegast presents Emergencies and Range of Tolerance posted at Heroic Dreams, saying, "I am trying to gain a better grasp of what constitutes an emergency situation by reference to the biological concept of "range of tolerance". This also leads me to a better understanding why so-called "life boat situations" are inadequate for formulating ethical principles for action under normal conditions, and, in the comment section, to some interesting observations on the concept of "normalcy". I would very much welcome any additional comment!"



Greg Perkins presents Upgrade Your Understanding of Objectivism! posted at NoodleFood, saying, "The Objectivism Seminar is beginning sessions on a new book now, and everyone is invited to join in -- especially those who are new to Rand's ideas." Oh, I wish I had time for this, but can't do it just now. Please take advantage of it, though, if you're interested in OPAR.



Paul Hsieh presents The Post-American World posted at NoodleFood, saying, "Is America facing an inevitable global decline? Or is there an opportunity for a second Renaissance?"



C. August presents Fall of Western Civilization? A Lesson from the Romans posted at Titanic Deck Chairs, saying, "This week I examine two key threats we face today, Islamism and Environmentalism, seen from the viewpoint of the disintegration of the Roman empire."



Flibbert presents Take Care of Yourself posted at Flibbertigibbet, saying, "I jotted off this hasty post the other night while watching House. The post itself isn't that great, but the scene that I'm discussing was really striking to me because in it a character emphasizes the importance of the virtue of independence in romantic relationships."



Gus Van Horn presents India's Sandalistas posted at Gus Van Horn, saying, "History repeats itself on the other side of the globe."



Jenn presents Parental Rights Amendment? posted at Rational Jenn, saying "I keep encountering this idea here and there in the homeschooling world. I think it's the wrong approach. Rights are not granted by lawmakers updating The Constitution. We've got to stop looking at the government as some kind of parent/oracle/higher authority from which we obtain some kind of permission to be free. Individuals have rights even when they are not explicitly acknowledged by the State. There are better ways to go about protecting an individual's right to raise his children as he sees fit."



That concludes this edition. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Submit your blog article to the next edition of objectivist round up using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.



Technorati tags:

, .



3 comments:

Paul McKeever said...

Hi Jenn,

Is this Obj. Roundup number forty TWO?

Cheers,

Paul

Rational Jenn said...

Paul--why yes! Yes it is!

Sheesh. I blame my addled-by-pregnancy brain. Argh. I'll go change the title now. And thanks for letting me know!

C. August said...

Actually, all this counting made me curious and I went to the Blog Carnival archives. It seems like there has been a number of misrenumberatings since the O'carnival began. (c'mon, people! What, are you doing this for free or something? jeezum!)

Somewhere in the past couple of months it got messed up again, and in case my counting is off, this particular May 8, 2008 edition is, in fact, #43.