Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Speed Racer & Stuff

We had fun at Speed Racer last night! It met my expectations, and Brendan's, too, which is more important because he's the SR expert. The race scenes were frenzied--which worked for me--but some of them went on way too long. If they had shortened the length of some of the less important races, it would have done much for the pacing of the film, which was slow and dragging in spots. Or maybe it just seemed slow and dragging compared to the crazy races.

The henchman were portrayed exactly the way they were in the cartoon--goonish, stereotypical, bad teeth and hair, etc. Perfect. There was no smoking of cigarettes in the movie that I could see--something that the cartoon is rife with (ah, the days before political correctness!). But the Bad Guys were bad and looked bad and cackled maniacal laughter and spoke really quickly when they were threatening Speed--just like in the cartoon. The races were wild and crazy and impossible--yup, just like the cartoon. The Mystery of Racer X was there, too. John Goodman's Pops was outstanding. Emile Hirsch was awesome as Speed.

If you "get" Speed Racer, watched it as a kid (or re-discovered it as a grownup), if you enjoy the fantastical situations that Speed, Trixie, Spritle and Chim-Chim always seem to find themselves in, you'll probably like this movie. Don't worry if it all doesn't quite make sense--I really don't think it's supposed to (again, right out of the cartoon!).

In other news, my favorite aunt is in town and will be coming for a visit tonight! Yay! So naturally, knowing that, I spent my morning piecing together a huge LEGO project for Ryan. Once I got into it, it was kind of fun. There is something very satisfying about following the steps and seeing the huge pile of teeny pieces disappear as you work. Now why I can't apply that same kind of satisfaction to the rest of the house, I'm sure I don't know!

Also, it occurred to me today that one of the major drawbacks of homeschooling must surely be the fact that the kids are home more and so the house will be messier than if they were off to school and all I had to do was eat bon-bons and vacuum between the hours of 8 and 2. Ah well, trade-offs must be made! And I know things will get easier as they get older and/or I am not hormonal and pregnant about it.

Brendan surprised me yesterday with another Mother's Day present: a Kindle! It is so cool. Easy, lightweight, can hold lots of books, magazines, etc. I've only downloaded one book so far: Anthem. :o)

As I declutter more and more of my house (really, I'm making progress!), I have discovered that books, which I used to love owning, just take up so much room and are heavy and attract dust (which I'm allergic to). I love the idea of eventually replacing many of the books I'd some day like to read again with a Kindle version and getting rid of the physical copies. I wouldn't do that with all of my books, because I do enjoy the tactile sensation of holding a well-loved, oft-read book in my hands and opening its pages. But for reference books, books that I might want to search terms in, books I don't re-read very frequently, I think I would be perfectly fine with an electronic version.

Another plus--the Kindle versions of the books are often cheaper than the physical copies--as it should be, IMO. I paid $1.60 for Anthem. As I use it more, I'll let you know how I like it (or not).

Well, that's about all the responsibility-shirking I can truly get away with for now. Off to get things done!

3 comments:

Monica said...

"one of the major drawbacks of homeschooling must surely be the fact that the kids are home more and so the house will be messier than if they were off to school and all I had to do was eat bon-bons and vacuum between the hours of 8 and 2."

I love it. Sometimes I feel like this woman, because I work from home, and without the distraction and messiness of kids (and to avoid work, as I'm doing now) I myself eat bad stuff and vacuum. Ha!

A Kindle ... awesome. I watched the amazon video. That is a seriously cool product. I'm all for decreasing clutter and making space. That is one cool device. Jealousy.

Anyway, I should get back to that work I'm avoiding....

patrick said...

The Wachowski bros certainly put a lot of effort into making Speed Racer... the movie overall looked and felt like a cross between anime, a kaleidoscope, that Flintstones movie, a video game and the Dukes of Hazard

LB said...

You'll definitely have to let us know how you like the Kindle overall. I have the same problem with the clutter and dust and sheer volume of books in my house, but thought the Kindle would compare to reading on the computer, which I hate to do. I often print out longer passages that I'm interested in reading from the internet so I can purposefully avoid reading them on the backlit system, thereby creating more paper stuff in my house. And I do like to touch and tag my books, it's just that we're reaching the tipping point.

I'm still excited to go see SR. But what of Racer X? Sure he was always mysterious, but had a certain kind of wisdom which also set him apart from the rest. Did they manage to portray him that way?