Monday, June 09, 2008

History At Our House

I have been intending to post this announcement for a week or two--better late than never. Scott Powell of History At Our House has started a new forum for homeschooling history!

Here is the group description (it's on Yahoo! groups):

HistoryAtOurHouse is a forum for anyone interested in the value of a secular history education. Parents of homeschoolers and afterschoolers are especially welcome. The group serves as a complement to the HistoryAtOurHouse program and blog, but it is open to discussion of any secular history curricula and issues related to history and homeschooling.


We are not currently enrolled in HAOH just yet, but I'd like to sign us up later this year or next, because Ryan is truly a history buff at the ripe old age of six. He is fascinated by people who lived in the past, and what they did and how they did it and why they did it. I think he will really enjoy HAOH. (Especially if Mr. Powell ever puts together some kind of military history program!) For information about the structure of the program, click here.

I really considered getting started now, even though the recommended starting age is seven, but with the baby coming, I need time to figure out what's what before I get us too involved in anything formal. And besides, he's just now six. I'm really not in a big hurry here. (For guidance on where you might want to start, based on the child's age, go here.)

I've talked to a few parents with kids in the program and have heard nothing but rave reviews. (And it's not just the parents raving.) I'm eager to learn a few things myself! I really like the fact that he focuses on presenting events in history as an interesting story to the younger kids. That falls right in line with my son's own interests and how we've talked about history at our house.

2 comments:

strangely said...

Found this today. Thought it might make a good lesson:

http://www.noao.edu/education/peppercorn/pcmain.html

From this:

http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/some-planetary-perspective/

Stephen Bourque said...

LB and I can certainly add to the rave reviews that you have heard. The Powell history classes have been a huge value to us, not only for our home-schooled daughter, but for me personally. (I've been taking his adult classes.)