Wednesday, June 04, 2008

It Was 14 Years Ago Today!

That Brendan and I packed up our things and moved to Atlanta!

Oh, the crazy things you do when you're young. No jobs, not too much money, somehow we had convinced my parents to co-sign our apartment lease even though we were (shhhh!) living together . . . !

It's amazing what you can do when you don't know that you can't do it. If that makes any kind of sense. I think about it now and wonder what we could have possibly been thinking, even though it all obviously worked out just fine!

My primary memory from that day (apart from rear-ending Brendan's new car with the UHaul, but that's a story for another day) is how freaking HOT it was. I've really been reliving that particular memory today--it was 93 degrees for no good reason! (Curse You, Climate Change!)

We moved around so much when I was a kid, that I always promised myself that I would live in one place for 10 years, just to see what it felt like. We've been in Georgia 14 years, and in this very house for almost 10 years (September 1). I like it. I rarely get that nomadic urge, but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to live somewhere else. Maybe we'll try it in another 10 years or so.

1 comment:

Liese said...

Oy! I think my husband and I are part gypsy, so I know what you mean about nomadic. We've lived in the same house for 3 ys. now, almost the longest anywhere. We've moved 11 times in 16 years of marriage, not that I'm complaining.

Whenever I get the desire for change I take the kids on a trip or camping, that helps. I can't imagine living in the same place for 10 years, we'll see!