Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Preparations

Today, we've just been chilling out--nobody has been sleeping well and we've all been a little tired. Also, I'm caught in a weird vortex between the whirlwind gotta get things done feeling of "Help! I'm running out of time!" and the tired semi-relaxed almost 9 months preggo feeling of "Better rest while I can!" Right now, there's a lull in the storm and the "rest while you can" side is winning, so Just Hanging Out was the order of the day.

We've watched eleventy zillion movies today and played with the big old art set we picked up for the kids at Costco last night. I did manage to get some laundry done, aren't you impressed? Oh! And I showered! I'm a true multi-tasker.

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are coming in late tomorrow night and then all the festivities will begin! They're going to have their work cut out for them, though. We owe them BIG TIME. Morgan has chosen to stop sleeping through the night and needs middle-of-the-night interventions. I hope it won't be too difficult for them to handle.

It's become quite apparent that Morgan is very nervous about me going away. Brendan recognized that some of her concern stems from the fact that his grandmother, Mimi, spent a lot of time (several months) in the hospital before her death in March. Morgan knows I'm going to the hospital and . . . well, you see where she went with it. Once we brought that subject out into the open and explained (as best you can to a 3 year old) that Mimi was very sick and quite old and that I am not sick and not old (despite my Advanced Maternal Age, hmph) and that I'm going to a special "Mommy Hospital" so the doctors can help the baby get out and that we are all going to be going back home very soon . . . well, she has calmed down somewhat.

But it's difficult to know how much really sinks into their little brains. She has stopped declaring that she won't go to the hospital and her sleep has improved (somewhat) since our big talk, so that's some evidence she's feeling a bit more secure. Still, hard to be away from Mommy. It'll be hard for me, too!

Ryan will hate it, too, but he and Nonnie (what we call my mother-in-law) are great buddies and he's looking forward to hanging out with her and talking her ear off. :o)

Brendan won't be able to come home Friday night to do their bedtime routine, which Ryan is very distressed about. The bedtime routines have become too sacred for anyone else to do--not really sure how or why it happened that way, it was certainly not our intent, but that's just how it is.

So Nonnie and Auntie and Ryan and Morgan have a big slumber party planned for Friday. Doesn't that sound like fun? We got the kids sleeping bags last weekend, and I'm making up goody bags with treats and books and new movies and toys to play with at the slumber party. I'm hoping they'll just pass out on the family room floor and awaken bright and sunshiny the next morning and come to see us at the hospital. And then Brendan can do their bedtimes for the rest of the time I'm in the hospital.

What a nice, relaxing day with the kids. I should go and de-marker The Girl before dinner time. She's a mess! Tomorrow, I expect the vortex winds to shift in favor of OMG Whirlwind Frenzy of Last Minute Things. At least I'll be rested up for it!

5 comments:

Paul McKeever said...

Best wishes for you and the Jenn junior to be!

Rational Jenn said...

Thanks so much! :o)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the baby!!
Jen

Rational Jenn said...

Thanks, Jen! I do plan to post an official announcement here on the blog when I'm home from the hospital. So check back next week!

C. August said...

I can't believe that you're going to have three, and the Senor Gus is almost here. Good luck to you and the newest little person, and say hi to Brendan's mom and sis for me.