Friday, July 11, 2008

Breast Cancer Interview

About a year ago, I got back in contact with a girl (I guess we're women now!) I went to junior high and high school with when I lived in Texas. We weren't super close friends back then, but were in the band together and ran around in next-to-each-other kinds of crowds and had classes together.

We've emailed back and forth a couple of times, talked about our kids and old friends and teachers, etc. She's still very friendly, which I remember from school.

And it turns out, she has a very serious form of breast cancer and has just recently passed the one year mark. She was interviewed for a segment on NBC Nightly News and it aired last Tuesday. The segment talks about how breast cancer in younger women is much more serious than in older women.

She's doing very well so far, and is glad to live so close to Duke University, where all kinds of cool research is going on. (Duke is where all kinds of cool food allergy research is going on, too!)

Anyway, I wanted to spread the word about her interview--I thought she did really well. Pass it on!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! How did you guys hook up again? Glad she's doing ok. What an ordeal!

~Lorrie

Rational Jenn said...

You know, she left me a note at Classmates.com! Funny, how that seems to work! :o)

She does seem to be well--I know she did a fundraiser last year (think it was the Komen walk) and if she does it again, I'll post the info here in case people want to donate.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Thanks for the link to the interview. It was quite interesting. I had breast cancer in 1999. I was lucky--a simple ACIS, no fuzzy margins, clean nodes. Of course, I had to lose those nodes to find that out--sentinal node studies were not being regularly done until 2001. That's why I am no longer carrying heavy bags of soil around the desert, doing research!

But as I said, I got off lucky!

Also, about your post above--we also have competing garbage companies. We chose the local one over the national mega-garbage company. We are glad we did. Our garbage was picked up during the famous New Years Snowstorm of 2006-07. We can leave a certain number of extra bags without being charged. And if there is a problem, we can call and talk to a very polite person--the owner of the company. Oddly enough, though, we've never had a problem! Maybe because the owner's husband drives the truck?

Rational Jenn said...

Elisheva, congrats on beating your cancer! I can't even imagine what going through something like that must be like. It's always one of those things that is at the back of most women's minds I think.

About the garbage--we are happy to be going with a local company again. It was a "mom & pop" company that got purchased by the Big Company with no customer service. The locals seem to work harder to keep their customers. Hopefully this new one will, too!