Saturday, July 05, 2008

It's My Blogiversary!

This here blog is now officially 3 years old! Hard to believe that Morgan was just a wee baby when I started, and now here she is, arguing with me on a regular basis with all the expert debating skills of her older brother! She is certain to pass those skills on to the new babe. (Think it's genetic.)

I'm feeling much better, although I'm nowhere near 100% yet. Brendan is working upstairs, which allows me to figure out this whole 3 kid logistical thang a little bit before I'm officially on my own on Monday. So far, so good. It will be difficult to keep up with things at first, especially since my live-in help kind relatives have departed for their own homes and lives. Naturally, you can expect me to make an effort to write on the blog--the laundry may suffer, but, by god, Not The Blog!

Did you have a nice 4th? We did. Brendan took the big kids to see fireworks on the 3rd and it was loads of fun. (I stayed here with the little one and my sister and we watched some Firefly--that was also loads of fun.) And yesterday, we had a few friends over and they were nice enough to bring food and cook it, too! The kids did a little slip-n-sliding in the backyard (Shhh! Don't tell the Water Police) and we launched a Mentos/Diet Coke geyser just 'cause. After our friends left, Brendan and the big kids lit sparklers on the front porch.

We didn't watch Schoolhouse Rock's America Rock as planned, but that's okay--we'll be watching it a bunch in the next few days. I usually watch America Rock every year on the 4th. In fact, I've been singing the "There's Gonna Be Fireworks" song all day today! Super fun. LB has a couple up on her blog if you need to jog your memory or are waaaaay younger than I am and have no idea what I'm talking about.

I did read John, Paul, George & Ben to Ryan and he liked it a lot. Got most of the jokes, too. It's a cute book, and of course you know we love the tie-in to The Beatles. In fact, Morgan asked if it was a book about The Beatles after she heard the title! Don't you see how well we've taught them?

What are some of your 4th of July traditions? I've hit the highlights of our usual celebrations. The only thing we didn't do this year is get our hotel room in Atlanta to watch the big fireworks show, but we'll do it next year for sure.

Have a nice rest of the weekend!

3 comments:

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Until we moved out of the city, we used to BBQ, and then watch several different fireworks displays from our roof. Sometime during the day, we'd read the Declaration of Independence aloud, marveling at it's timeless character and importance.

This year and last, N. has been in Illinios with my family, and the Chem Geek Princess goes to the lake. So it's just the Engineering Geek and me. Yesterday, we put up the flag, took it down for the monsoon, went to a movie--Handcock, very good!--and had a hamburger and Sam Adams Summer Ale (it's got to be Sam Adams on the Glorious Fourth--you know, 'patriot and brewer').
It was a nice day.

Rational Jenn said...

Sounds like a nice holiday! I really enjoy just hanging out on holidays--never been one for rushing around all over the place.

And D'oh! We forgot to drink Sam Adams yesterday! (Actually, I forgot to drink beer entirely!) Hmmmm...maybe we should go get some soon. Brewer. Patriot! Love it.

Mamacita (Mamacita) said...

Ever since we discovered Steve Spangler's Experiment of the Week, we've not had a dull summer day yet! The Mentos Geyser is tons of fun; sometimes we do that at odd times of the year just, well, because. And in my house, I admit to you with tail between legs, most times of the year are odd.

We're blowing the faces out of watermelons this weekend, to practice for October, when we'll be blowing the faces out of pumpkins. The pumpkins are in the back yard, in fact, as I type: four inches high and all innocent and unknowing about the face blowout thing.

Steve Spangler Science rocks. That Experiment of the Week rocks even harder. Plus, now I want to watch Schoolhouse Rock. "Conjunction Junction, what's your function. . . ."

Thanks. Heh.