Monday, August 11, 2008

Something I Did Not Do Today

Today, I did not send Ryan to First Grade.

:o)

First of all, can you believe that school begins so early in the year around here? Some counties started last week. I seem to recall Labor Day being a big part of school starting when I was a kid. Yay for us not doing official school; otherwise we'd have to miss our big annual beach vacation which is coming up in a couple of weeks.

What did we do? We read a new (to us) Magic Tree House book--one about George Washington (history, reading, fiction)! What else? Took a walk (P.E.)--more on that in a bit. Learned how many in a dozen (math). Learned how many in a baker's dozen (math). Played a word search puzzle for the first time (reading, spelling). Worked on the rock collection (science). Did laundry (life skills). Rode bikes and argued and, oh, just tons of other things.

We did manage to take a walk though, as I mentioned. It wasn't quite so terribly hot today. Due to the baby not being able to make up his mind about nursing and the requisite arguing, we didn't set off on our walk until that time of day when all of the mommies gather at the stop sign to greet their little ones as they come off the school bus! Crazy random happenstance? Could be!

Ryan was so excited to be waiting there--because his friend next door was on the bus (he's in K this year) and he was just a-talking away to all of those mommies by the time I caught up to him. No clue what he might have said to them. They all know we homeschool, so who knows what was going through their minds. Most seem to be pretty cool though. As the bus emptied out, Ryan and his friend met joyfully and ran home together.

So here I was, walking home with my kids with all of the other mommies walking home with their kids, on the first day of school. Later on, as my kids were bike riding with the other neighbor kids, some of the moms came down and swapped First Day stories. Seems as if everything went well, for the most part--hard to wake up the kids for the early bus at 7:15, which teacher this, which teacher that, blah blah blah.

Then one of them asked me how our day went. "Just fine!" said I.

Kind of surreal, that.

Anyway, that's what we didn't do today. :o)

2 comments:

Jenney said...

I've just discovered your blog and I just want to tell you how much I'm enjoying it!

Rational Jenn said...

Welcome, Jenney! Thanks for stopping by. What a nice way to start my day!

I haven't been updating quite as often as I used to, but I'm working back up to it. I see you have a couple of blogs yourself, so I'll definitely check them out! You also have 3 kids--any logistical advice? I'm still trying to figure this all out! :o)