Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Economic Freedom Index

If you were wondering how your state compares to the other 49 in terms of economic freedom, then check out the 2008 US Economic Freedom Index, published by the Pacific Research Institute.

143 different criteria were factored into the index and I was very pleasantly surprised to see that Georgia ranks #11, a big jump from #19 back in 2004. Not too shabby! I haven't figured out just where Georgia's strengths and weaknesses are according to the report (I have my own suspicions though) and hope to spend some time reading the report in more detail this weekend.

Anyway, neat!

Via Noodlefood and others


Amy Mossoff said...

Cool! I've seen this report for countries, but not for states. Thanks!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Well, New Mexico is in the 10 worst!
I can't quite figure that out, except that the most populous counties tax the heck out of their citizens. Recently, also, the Mid-Rio Grande Council of Governments has put forth all of these initiatives for commuter rail systems, new arenas, etc. and are now proposing huge taxes to pay for them. And then there's Bill . . . Richardson, that is. He has proposed many government spending boondoggles. Most have not passed, but some expensive ones have . . . Hmmm. If only it didn't snow so much in South Dakota!

Of course, it's not going to matter much which state a body lives in, once the pirates in Washington get their Mother of All Bailouts passed.

Adam Ross, Jessica Lee, Evan Ross Cooke said...

This just confirms what I've been telling my wife; we need to move to Idaho or Colorado. I lived in ID for 3.5 years and the longer I was there, the more I liked it.