Tuesday, September 02, 2008

It's Almost Fall!

Now that we're back from the beach, I'm really ready to jump into our fall schedule. Even though our vacation was a busy working one, I guess I still got away from it all just enough to get that post-vacation-restart feeling. I like that restart feeling!

We have a lot going on, that's for sure. In a couple of weeks we're heading up to Chicago for Brendan's grandfather's birthday. I'm glad we're going, because I know he'll enjoy seeing the little ones and also because I was so sad to miss B's grandmother's funeral last spring. It's nice that we'll be there for a happier occasion.

Yes, I know we just got back, but nobody can help it that his birthday is in September. And also, yes, Brendan and I are insane enough to get on an airplane with 3 small kids! I'm trying not think about it too much myself! I have a good friend who is a flight attendant and her philosophy is that if a flight is awful then oh well--you'll never see those other passengers again anyway. So I've adopted that notion--and we just might become somebody's funny (horror?) airplane story.

Our regularly scheduled activities are going to keep us pretty busy, too. Next week will be the test--all of our activities going on for the first time. Some of the kids' classes began before our vacation, so we got to try it out a bit. It's gonna be interesting, all these classes and a new baby, too! Mondays and Fridays are open, so yay for that. Tuesdays will be Tae Kwon Do in the morning for Ryan and swimming in the afternoon for both older kids. Wednesdays are our long days, with Chess and Robotics in the morning and early afternoon for Ryan and Ballet/Tap in the later afternoon for Morgan. On Thursdays, Brendan will take Ryan to TKD while I take Morgan and Sean to Music Class (I've been taking the wee ones since Ryan was 16 months old--sooooo much fun!). Then Morgan has soccer in the afternoons. And we'll somehow work in American History from History At Our House and reading lessons and homeschool playgroup and getting together with friends, too!

Yeah, it's a lot. But not all of our activities will last the whole year and so I think all of them will be going on for only a few weeks before our schedule will change a bit. You know that saying "That which does not kill me will make me stronger?" On our first full day of Wednesday classes a couple of weeks ago, it was hard core and people were melting and I was going crazy and that saying popped into my head and it suddenly occurred to me that the person who made up that saying was really just trying to distract you from the fact that you might be about to die. I'm just sayin'. :o)

It is nice that everything is scrunched into just 3 days and really, it's spaced out pretty well throughout each day. If I could just ensure cooperation! Ah well--that's the great mystery/challenge of parenthood, I think. The whole thing might be hard on baby, but he's still young enough to only need me and doesn't need too much entertaining. And he's chill, thankfully. Our activities next year, when he's a toddler, will present a special challenge, I think. But no use worrying about it now.

Let's see, what else is coming up? The FAAN Walk is October 18 and I'll have the details up soon. We're looking forward to participating again. And let's not forget Halloween! We've all been in the mood for Halloween since the beginning of August. Ryan and Morgan have their costumes settled (I think) and we have a whiz-bang idea for Sean and me. I don't want to say anything just yet, in case we can't pull it off, but it's pretty awesome. Planning for our annual Halloween bash is underway and I'm trying to figure out where we can put our Spooky Town houses, since I've taken over the once-empty desk for my Mommy-work.

We have renters for the cabin already lined up here and there for some fall dates, and I'm hoping that bookings will be up this fall. We had a so-so-summer, but everything I've read indicates that the hospitality/tourism industry as a whole has been struggling, so I'm not too worried about it. For now. Hopefully, we'll get up there soon ourselves. You know, 'cause we have a mountain cabin, and it would be nice if we could use it sometimes!

And finally, tonight, we're starting up again with our semi-regular date nights! We have wonderful sitters--don't know what we'll do when they graduate from college. We'll be taking the baby with us for a while, but that's okay. He's not so good at eavesdropping just yet. We'll just go out to dinner here and there for a while, nothing too crazy, but it will be nice to get out and have a chance at a conversation again.

So, you know, not much going on. Just taking it easy. :o)

No comments: