Friday, September 12, 2008

Moving Toward A Cure

The 3rd annual Walk for Food Allergies: Moving Toward A Cure will be held in Atlanta on October 18. Or is it the 2nd annual? (Flibbert? Help!) At any rate, it's the third time we've had this fundraising walk.

We're very excited to participate again! We are hoping that Ryan will walk--as opposed to ride--this year. He is happy to help raise funds for the scientist peopleguys who are working hard to fix his peanut allergy. He doesn't quite understand that this process will take time. He keeps expecting that the cure will be here any minute. If only.

To check out our fundraising website, go here! If you'd like to donate, then please do! But it's more important to me to educate, to spread the word about the seriousness of food allergies and how difficult they are to manage. The whole family is affected--not just the afflicted--and it's tough to live with the knowledge that a bite of the wrong food could mean the difference between life and death. Especially for a little guy like my Ryan. He deals with it pretty well, but would of course be much happier to not have to deal with this at all. Same goes double for me.

So spread the word, and help me get the facts out there. If you hear someone complain about a baseball stadium's decision to open up a peanut-free section, point them to FAAN. If you are confused about your kid's schools' decision to make a classroom or table peanut-free, ask me some questions. It's not about control--especially when small kids are involved, it's about life and death. It may seem incredible, but it's true.

Our goal is $1500 and we've already got a good portion of that. I'll keep you posted on our progress and also let you know how our walk went! I'm working on t-shirts, too. The ones from last year's walk turned out pretty well.

Oh, and our theme for this year is a phrase from Mad-Eye Moody: CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

4 comments:

heather said...

Good Luck at the walk! I thought you might be interested in my website www.spewdfree.com I started it because my son is allergic to soy,peanuts,eggs,wheat and dairy. All of the recipes are free of soy,peanuts,eggs,wheat and dairy.
Thanks,
Heather

Vivian said...

Here's to a cure! Best of luck!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Hi, Jenn,

I read the article from the scientist peopleguys about densesitization.

What I am wondering is if they are looking for particular SNPs or MNPs that could be changed via some kind of gene therapy that would shut down the reaction altogether? That would be exciting work indeed!

Now, I'll mosey on over to your other link.

Sue said...

Good luck on your walk. We participated in our first one in August in Philadelphia (my daugher has a dairy allergy). We really enjoyed it and were able to raise $1,300.

Education is really the key to better understanding and cooperation.