Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Sometimes . . .

This parenting stuff is really, really hard.

Babies and toddlers are physically demanding, but I'm learning that it's still very exhausting--mentally--as they get older. Especially if you are trying to do it right. It's always a challenge--sometimes an interesting one, sometimes a fun one, sometimes a frustratingly difficult one. And I don't even have teenagers. :o)

One of these days when I have a bit more free time (she laughs hysterically) I'm going to try to write up some more parenting thoughts. Specifically, I think it would be helpful to me to define our parenting goals and principles. We have done a good job of defining it, I think, but these things are worth revisiting from time to time, don't you think? I especially want to tie in our parenting goals with Objectivism in a very specific way.

I bet it would spark some interesting blogversations anyway!

Speaking of parenting, that baby just woke up AGAIN! Gotta go.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on parenting, Jen. As a future parent, I've really gotten a lot from your little tidbits so far!

LB said...

Congratulations, you have mastered the first rule of parenting (not necessarily objectivist): choose your battles wisely.

Except for egregious affronts to common decency, I try desperately to not battle with them about what they wear - no matter how insane their choices may seem. The wisdom of my most dire warning, "you'll probably regret that look someday", comes only with experience.

Rachel said...

There must have been something that induced you to post this right now. Tell us about it. What happened that was mentally challenging? Was there a misbehavior or something? What did you do to solve it rationally?

Rational Jenn said...

Rachel--you're right, we've been dealing with Big Kid stuff with Ryan lately. Mostly lying, a fun little trick he's been testing out. He's a kid--it happens. I'd be disappointed if he didn't try it. :o)

I'll write a post soon--we are trying to handle it in a rational way and what's mostly hard for me is dealing with my own emotions in the moment while still maintaining enough cool to do and say the right things. I'm getting better, I'll say that! But I think writing about it will help me process some things more. This weekend, I hope. Thanks.

Kelly and LB--thanks as always for your comments and for stopping by. We are definitely on the same page, LB, as far as clothes go.

It's nice to feel supported in troubled times! So I do appreciate all of you taking the time to write. I was feeling a little defeated yesterday, but I've bounced back. And more to come, as I mentioned above...

Amy Mossoff said...

Looking forward to that, Jenn. I really should do the same thing. I might have to put it on my to do list. :) One thing I keep coming back to is selfishness. Working on being selfish, in the challenging, virtuous way, really helps with parenting. It removes so many false conflicts. Thanks for your thoughts...you're giving me some ideas on how to freshen up my blog and maybe get refocused on my parenting skills too.